Transition to Adulthood - an Overview

All children gradually transition into adulthood. When a child has specialized needs, it is wise to plan for this transition ahead of time, to ensure a smooth and successful process

There are many aspects to transition:

  • Living arrangements
  • Transition from pediatric to adult healthcare providers
  • Education and employment
  • Legal decision-making
  • Self advocacy

Local Organizations that Support Transition

Center for Independent Living

The Center for Independent Living (CIL) is a community-based organization that increases awareness, collaboration, and opportunity among people with disabilities and the community at large

Some of its programs are free, while others are vendorized by the Regional Center

Contact: Catherine Callahan

Program Coordinator


Services offered include:

Mobility training

Attendant referral

Benefits cousneling

Housing referral

Employment services

Sports and Recreation Program

Sports and Recreation Program offers adaptive sports and recreation activities for both youth and adults. Through reverse integration, both disabled and non-disabled participants are able to play on a common field.

Sports Specific practices

Classes and workshops offered throughout the year at the Berkeley and Alameda sites

Classes include art, media, discussion groups, and more!

Sports specific clinics


Athletes of all abilities and skill level are welcome

For information, please contact

510-841-4776 ext 3127

Community Connections (CoCo) Program

The community connections program offers transit instruction by and for people with disabilities via 1 on 1 and group travel coaching. This includes transit app and trip planning tutorials. The program is free

With the CIL’s Community Connections team, you will gain the ability to:

- Master specific routes of your choice

- Access AC Transit and BART

- Safely navigate new environments

- Plan trips using technology

- Learn to use a mobility device

- Travel through all kinds of weather

- Travel with peers to events such as SF MOMA, Golden Gate Park, or an Oakland A’s game!

For more information, contact or 510-841-4776

Youth Transition Program

The CIL’s Youth Transition Program is based on the Five Pathways to Independence and is meant to help students with disabilities be successful with their transition into post-secondary life

Pathway #1 Self Advocacy Courses for Beginners

Pathway #2 Self Adovcacy Courses for Intermediate Learners and Jobseekers

Pathway #3 Adaptive Sports and Recreation

Pathway #4 Indepdent Living Skills Workshops

Pathway #5 Academic Enrichment Activities

Any qualifying youth can register to take a summer bootcamp or participate in our ongoing youth activities base on the Five Pathways. Students are invited to mix and match activities frorm the Five Pathways to create a unique program that is based on their individual needs. Courses and workshops will be provided throughout the academic year and bootcamps will be offered for the summer


Youth with disabilities between the ages 14-24


Courses and workshops take place in Berkeley and Alameda

For more information, please contact or call 510-841-4776 ext 3137

Assistive Technology (AT)

Assistive technology is any assistive, adaptive, or rehabilitation device for people with disabilities. The CIL”s AT program provides consulting, product demonstration (both 1 on 1 and group settings), and workshops for any person with a disability seeking any device that will assist them with their day to day activities

Services include:

Consulting: work with our specialists to find the product that would best assist you daily. Consultation scan be scheduled in person, by phone, or by email

Product demonstration: learn, test, and play with a techological device before you purchase. Demos are led by product experts and can be either 1 on 1 or group setting

Workshops: Stay up to date with the latest devices. Explore how AT allows you to engage in the fast-changing tech community

Peer discussion groups: Discover which features of your device work best for you in order to optimize user experience with day to day AT users

Basic eligibility Any person with a disability wishing to learn more about AT devices

For more information, please contact: or call 510-841-4776 ext 3107

Where will my son/daughter live?

How does the Regional Center support with Independent Living?

Supported Living Skills (SLS) vs. Independent Living Skills (ILS)

  • Supported Living Services (SLS): Provides services to someone living in their own home (not with their parents/guardians). Services can include up to be 24/7 care. Note that regional centers do not help pay for rent.
  • Independent Living Skills (ILS): Provides services of teaching skills to live independently, less intensive care than SLS and more individualized.

Please note: the info below is NOT a recommendation in any way- only you, your family/child and possibly the court can decide what is right for you!This is just a short list of available resources to provide information for you and your family as a starting point.

Local Resources - Living Arrangements

Clausen House

Access through Regional Center. Housing opportunities Available

Phone #: (510)-839-0050

Address: 88 Vernon street, Oakland, CA 94610

The Beard Realty Team

Specializes in accessible housing for people with disabilities

Phone #: 5103646795

Address: 4937 Telegraph Ave., Ste. A, Oakland, CA 94609

→ Open to ABLE act, Section 8 home ownership

Moving Forward: Towards Independence

Phone #: 707-259-1125

Address: Napa, California

Assisted Living: Do not offer housing but do offer assistance for living once housing is obtained

Manos Home Care

Phone #: (510) 336-2900

Address: 4173 MacArthur Blvd., Oakland, CA

Must request it in the Regional Center. Independent living. Must be above 18 yrs old.

Alternative Lerning Center (ALC)

Independent and Supported Living Services


Phone #: (510) 562-9694

Address: 2738 73rd Avenue, Oakland, CA

Ask through Regional Center for a free service

Medi-Cal Enrollment

Find out what you could apply for/qualify for:

Nearby in-person enrollment centers:


LifeLong Medical Care

2344 Sixth Street, Berkeley, CA 94710

Languages Spoken: English, Spanish

Telephone: 510-981-3250


Broner Insurance Services

1223 Solano Ave. Suite 8 Albany, CA 94706

Languages Spoken: English

Telephone: 510-703-7116


American Health Advocates

2223 Santa Clara Avenue, Suite B2 Alameda, CA 94501

Languages Spoken: English, Spanish

Telephone: 866-689-2304

American Health Advocates

2223 Santa Clara Avenue, Suite B2 Alameda, CA 94501

Languages Spoken: English, Spanish

Telephone: 866-689-2304


Cost-U-Less Insurance Center

5353 Claremont Ave Ste A, Oakland, CA 94618

Languages Spoken: English, Spanish

Telephone: 800-219-2670

Brady-Harbord-Payne Insurance Brokers

3608 Grand Ave. Suite 2, Oakland, CA 94610

Languages Spoken: English

Telephone: 510-444-5645x9

West Oakland Health Council

700 Adeline Street Oakland, CA 94607

Languages Spoken: English

Telephone: 510-835-9610

eHealth-Plans Inc.

638 Webster St., Suite 420 Oakland, CA 94607

Languages Spoken: English, Cantonese, Mandarin

Telephone: 888-746-6688

Native American Health Center

2950 International Blvd Oakland, CA 94601

Languages Spoken: English, Spanish

Telephone: 510-535-4400

Freeway Insurance Services, Inc.

1452 High Street Suite B Oakland CA 94601

Languages Spoken: English, Spanish

Telephone: 800-219-2670

East Oakland Health Center

7450 International Blvd., Oakland, CA 94621

Languages Spoken: English, Spanish

Telephone: 510-835-9610

Visit: to get more information and find store-front enrollment help near you.

Transition to Adult Healthcare Providers

Job Placement & Skills

East Bay Innovations

Training, paid internships & job placement

Contact: Lori Kotsonas

510-618-1580 x15

  • Partners with many community organizations, businesses, school districts

Tailored Day Services to assist with job development, training and support in classroom

  • 3 job rotations: Claremont Hotel & Spa, county/district office
  • Classroom portion
  • internship/rotation portion mimics real-world job with sick days, etc.
  • Extensive job coaching which supports with MANY things

Examples of Jobs:

  • Ed Roberts’ campus facilities management
  • Primus Power: office assistant
  • District attorney’s office: Legal Assistant
  • Children’s Hospital: Materials Management/Distribution Clerk
  • Lawrence Berkeley National Lab: 3 clerical assistants

Project SEARCH: Pre-employment training in real work in real settings, 12 months long

  • County of Alameda and Claremont Club and Spa are the main partnerships (rotations)
  • 12 students per class
  • 1 teacher and 3 job coaches provide on-the-job support
  • Four hours per day, 5 days per week
  • Time spent working during day is paid (~3.5 hours/day)
  • Assistive technology, communications with host business, job coaching and support/training provided by EBI
  • Teacher, classroom instruction and curriculum provided by school partner


  • Get referral package by case manager at RC
  • Meet host employer’s standards for working
  • Background, drug and health check
  • Ability to learn and perform tasks provided with decreasing support over time
  • Use public transportation independently
    • Arranged independently
    • EXTENSIVE travel training provided if needed
    • Will help as LONG as it takes


  • Average placement rate for all programs is 86%
  • Job retention is 90%
  • Graduates earn ~80% above minimum wage
  • 80% receive full benefits

How to get involved:

Job Placement: completion of Project SEARCH or participation in Tailored Day Services.

Job Coaching: always available when EBI places you on a job; referral can be made if you already have a job

Project SEARCH: apply at least 6 months before start of program. Applications are on website; get referral from case manager; program startsJan/Feb

Tailored Day Services (TDS): Graduation from Project SEARCH or a referral to our Job Placement services from your case manager

Ability Now

Emphasizes and supports entrepreneurship by providing resources and mentorship.

Cornerstone Micro-Enterprise Program


Assistive technology


Supported Decision Making (SDM):

What is SDM?

  • A less restrictive alternative than conservatorship
  • Helps people with disabilities make their own decisions about big and small aspects of their lives with people they trust
  • Very informal as SDM is not based on a binding contract; it is not notarized
  • Participant with disabilities retain their legal rights

Why SDM?

  • Participants with disabilities retain their legal rights, as SDM is less restrictive than conservatorship
  • Empowers people with disabilities to make their own decisions

SDM and Person-Centered Planning:

  • People with disabilities decide who helps them make decisions
  • During the regional center planning process, people with disabilities have the right to exclude people from the planning process as well as have the first and final say in the services they want / think would be most beneficial for them

More info below:


Limited Conservatorship for Persons with Developmental Disabilities

Credit: this information is adapted from resources by the Dale Law Firm

What is a Limited Conservatorship?

As a parent, you want your developmentally disabled child to be as self-reliant and independent as he or she can be. How can you continue to protect your child once she or he becomes and adult in the eyes of the law> How can a busy parent get good information?

A limited conservatorship is a court proceeding whereby an individual or agency is appointed to be responsible for a developmentally disabled adult. These conservatorships are “limited” because the developmentally disabled adult retains the power to care for her or himself and/or manage her or his financial resources to the extent that the court finds that he or she is able to do so. The limited conservator cares for and controls those aspects of daily life that he court finds the developmentally disabled adult cannot competently handle.

Does every person with a developmental disability need a limited conservatorship?

A limited conservatorship is not required merely because a person has a developmental disability. A limited conservatorship is appropriate only when necessary to protect the well-being of the individual and is designed to encourage the development of maximum self-reliance and independence of the individual.

What alternatives are there to a limited conservatorship?

If the main objective of the conservatorship is the management of the funds of a person with a developmental disability, a Special Needs Trust can often better meet those objectives

When can conservatorship proceedings begin?

If the proposed conservatee is a minor, the petition may be filed so that the conservatorship may be effective immediately upon the child turning 18

What Role Does a Regional Center Play?

Within 30 days after filing a petition for limited conservatorship, a proposed limited conservatee is assessed at a Regional Center. The Regional Center submits a written report of its findings and recommendations to the court. While the Regional Center report is not binding, it provides the court with guidance about the appropriateness of the conservatorship.

Who can establish a Limited Conservatorship?

  • A petition for the appointment of a conservator may be filed by:
  • The proposed conservatee
  • The spouse of the proposed conservatee
  • A relative of the proposed conservatee
  • Any interest public officer or employee of an interested public agency of California
  • Any other interested person or friend of the proposed conservatee

What are the duties of a Limited Conservator?

The limited conservator is responsible for the limited conservatee’s treatment, training, education, medical and psychological services, and social and vocational opportunities as appropriate and assists the limited conservatee in the development of maximum self-reliance and independence.

What powers may the Conservator request?

A limited conservatorship can do any combination of these, as determined by the Court:

  • Determine the residence of the conservatee
  • Access to confidential records
  • Control right to marry
  • Control the right to contract
  • Consent for medical treatment
  • Control social and sexual contacts
  • Make educational decisions

A conservator cannot:

  • Control the conservatee’s wages from a job or salary
  • Approve harmful medical treatment
  • Force medication therapy
  • Have the conservatee sterilized
  • Have the conservatee committed to an institution
  • Agree to electro-convulsive shock therapy
  • Agree to psychotherapy
  • Have any other powers not specified by the court

A conservatee keeps the rights to:

  • Control their own wages/salary
  • Make or change a will to say who gets their personal items when they die
  • Receive personal mail
  • Vote, unless the judge takes away that right
  • Be represented by an attorney
  • Ask for a new conservator
  • Ask for the conservatorship to end

Who can be appointed a conservator:

  • A person 18 years or older and who will act in the conservatee’s best interests
  • Judge may appoint more than one conservator (co-conservator)
  • A conservator must give other people an official copy of the Letters of Conservatorship in order to be recognized as a conservatee’s conservator (ie. Letters of Conservatorship must be given to doctors, financial people, etc. or else the conservator’s position may be disregarded).

How to obtain conservatorship:

  1. A proposed conservator files a petition with the court.*
  2. Copies of the petition are sent to the intended conservatee and to the regional center.
  3. The regional center will assess the conservatee and determine the degree of disability and ultimately recommend the appropriate rights to take away from the intended conservatee.
  4. A court investigator is assigned to the case, and they must explain and review the petition to the conservatee and determine whether the conservatee wants to challenge the conservatorship.
  5. Intended conservator must go to the hearing, unless judge appoints an exception. A judge will appoint the conservator an attorney.
  6. The court process concludes with the judge deciding whether or not an individual can care for their own needs. The court may or may not appoint a person as the conservator.

*The petition that the intended conservator must file with the court is tedious. Although intended conservators can go through the legal proceedings on their own, some opt to pay for legal help and representation.

What to do if there is a disagreement between conservator/conservatee, or if a conservatee wants to end a conservatorship:

  • Call their attorney, regional center, day program, or probate court investigator
  • Ask for a court hearing
  • Ask regional center service coordinator for an IPP meeting

How to file for conservatorship in Alameda County:

Must file for conservatorship at the Alameda County Probate Court

2120 Martin Luther King Jr. Way, Berkeley, CA 94704

Phone: (510) 647-4439

Please also see this link for helpful information and all necessary forms:

Power of Attorney

This is an alternative to conservatorship for decision making support allows someone to choose who can assist them with healthcare, finances, etc. if they cannot make such decisions for themselves. A person can use this to get decision making support at anytime, but they can also revoke it. Just needs to be notarized (usually $15 at a UPS store).

Advocacy Groups and Legal Support

Advocacy Groups:

  • Get free legal advice and representation through the regional center via the Office of Clients’ Rights Advocacy (
  • To learn how to be a self-advocate with the help of a supportive community, check out People First self advocacy group (
  • Remember, you always have the right to invite advocates to IEP/IPP meetings. Advocates can range from service coordinators, family, friends, a trained advocate, etc.

Parent Advocacy Groups:

Judicial Self Help Center (510-264-5300/ 98 West Jackson Street suite 203, Hayward) is an organization that can help with many legal needs at a reduced price. The legal assistant for conservatorships is Helen Bellamy. They have a reduced fee of $1500. They will help complete the application, but won’t help with going to court.

California Certified Legal Assistants System: the site has a list of legal assistants. Again, legal assistants help complete the application. Search by location, under probate/ conservatorships, they may charge even lower prices.

The Alameda County BAR Association has a hotline to call for a lawyer connection, but it does cost $35 for the initial consultation: Call: 510-302-ACBA (2222), option 4: we match you with an attorney qualified to help you with your legal issue for up to a 30 minute consultation. Phones are open from 8:30 a.m. -12:00 p.m., and 1:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. If you call after hours, you can leave a message and we will return your call within 3 business days.

Conservatorship SelfHelpManualconser (6).doc
power of atty.pdf
power of attorney - medical.pdf
FULL conservatorship-for email.pdf
MARKS PARALEGAL PLUS Limited Brochure.pdf