What We Believe
The following are a summarization of our 16 Articles of Faith. To view the full Articles of Faith, along with scripture references, please click on http://nazarene.org/articles-faith
1) The Trinity
-We believe in one God who is three in nature, revealed as God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
2) Jesus Christ
-We believe Jesus Christ is fully God. When He was born of the Virgin Mary, Christ became 100% man while still remaining 100% God. Jesus died for our sins and then rose from the dead with the same type of glorified body we will receive. Christ ascended into heaven and now intercedes for us.
3) The Holy Spirit
- We believe that the Holy Spirit is fully God. The Holy Spirit is a person, not just a spiritual force. The Holy Spirit convicts us of sin, regenerates those who repent, transforms us into Christlikeness continually, and leads us into all truth.
4) The Holy Scriptures
- We believe that the Bible consist of the 66 books of the Old and New Testaments. We believe in the plenary inspiration of the Scriptures and the Bible without error reveals all things concerning salvation. Any doctrine of the Church of the Nazarene must be found in the scriptures.
5) Sin, Original and Personal
- We recognize 2 classifications of sin. Original Sin is best described as an inward disposition or bent toward evil and self-centeredness. We are born this way, inheriting this condition from our first parents. We are not condemned for original sin unless we willfully reject or neglect God’s divine remedy.
Personal Sin can be defined as a willful violation of a known law of God. You must be morally responsible to commit personal sin. Infirmities are unwillful violations of God’s law, and are not to be confused with personal sin.
- We believe that Jesus made full atonement for all human sin. This atonement is the only grounds for salvation and is fully effective for every person. This atonement is automatically effective for those who are not morally responsible. Those who are morally responsible must repent and believe for the atonement to be applied.
7) Free Agency
- We believe that humans were created with the ability to choose good and evil. Through Adam’s fall we lost the capacity to turn to God on our own. However, through Christ God gives each person who wants to ability to repent and believe. Someone who is a Christian can still choose to turn back towards sin and be eternally lost again.
- We believe that repentance is a complete change of mind concerning sin. Repentance is required by God for all who have committed personal sin. The Holy Spirit gives anyone willing to repent the ability to do so.
9) Justification, Regeneration, and Adoption
- We believe that justification is a full pardon of all guilt and complete release from the penalty of sin. Regeneration is when God gives us new spiritual life. Adoption is when God accepts us as his child. These 3 things happen simultaneously when we seek God by faith, repent and receive Christ. The Holy Spirit bears witness to all three works.
10) Entire Sanctification
- We believe Entire Sanctification is an act of God where believers are made free of the effect of original sin. This work of God is separate from and occurs after regeneration, through the baptism of the Holy Spirit. It comprehends in one experience the cleansing of the heart from original sin, and the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit. This equips the believer for life and service.
Entire Sanctification is wrought by the blood of Jesus. It is given in response to faith and preceded by entire consecration. The Holy Spirit gives witness to this work. Entire Sanctification does not make a person perfect in action but perfect in love. Spiritual growth must occur before and after Entire Sanctification.
11) The Church
- The Church is made up of all who confess Jesus as Lord, have been regenerated, and made part of the Body of Christ. God calls the Church to express her life through unity of the Spirit and worship by preaching, sacraments, ministry and obedience to Christ and service to others. Our mission is to continue the redemptive work of Christ. The Church is a living organism. She is universal and local. The church equips people for ministry as we live under God’s rule awaiting Christ’s return.
- Baptism is a sacrament signifying the acceptance of the benefits of Christ’s atonement. Baptism is given only to believers and is declarative of faith in Christ and willingness to obey Christ and live a life of holiness.
13) The Lord’s Supper
- Communion is a New Testament sacrament which declares Jesus sacrificial death. Only those who have faith in Christ, have prepared to appreciate it’s significance, and has love for the saints may participate.
14) Divine Healing
- We believe that God heals through both miraculous and medical methods. Those who are sick are encouraged to seek the prayer of faith.
15) Second Coming of Christ
- Jesus will come again. Those who have died in Christ will first rise. After this, any Christian who is alive will be caught up with the risen saints to meet the Lord in the air. We will then be with the Lord forever .
16) Resurrection, Judgement, and Destiny
- We believe that the bodies of the just and the unjust shall be raised and reunited with their spirits. We believe in future judgement in which every person will appear before God. We will be judged according to our works in life. Eternal life is assured to those who savingly believe in and obediently follow Jesus Christ. The unrepented shall suffer eternally in hell.