Caroline Flory grew up going to the library weekly with her family, which led to spending nights before bed cuddled up reading stories together and then often reading on her own way past bedtime. That love of books only strengthened as she grew up, from being a student to a public school elementary teacher to now, homeschooling her own children, volunteering at her local library, and constantly talking about and thinking about books. That love of reading naturally spread into writing, first in elementary and middle school, then more seriously in adulthood.
Caroline has been a member of SCBWI since 2013 with a focus on writing picture books and middle grade and a member of an active and amazing critique group for almost as many years. She is thankful to have had a picture book mentorship in 2015 and an experience being a PitchWars 2017 mentee for a middle grade project.
Caroline lives with her husband and two spunky kids who are also voracious readers. You'll often find her with arms full of books and chasing after her kids. She still reads wayyy past her bedtime.
Eight Favorite Things:
- Books, of course! Particularly kidlit books - Kidlit books are for every age, and I love when people know that! C.S. Lewis said, "A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest." But kidlit books are especially for kids because kids are brilliant and know life comes with up and downs and a whole of lot heart, too.
- Mountains - Especially the Appalachian mountains, where I'm originally from. And hiking in those mountains.
- Cozy blankets - Best enjoyed with a book in hand!
- Music - So far, I've played trumpet, piano, and fiddle, and I listen to way more variety than that. Music is one of my favorite forms of art.
- Running - I'm a turtle runner (reader, that means she's sloooow), and I love it. It's stress relief and a great way to take care of myself and fun to do with others, all wrapped up into one activity.
- Critique group friends - If you're a writer, find an amazing, supportive, truthful critique group. It's so hard to find (check your local SCBWI chapter!), but way worth the friendship and growth.
- Watching my kids dance - It's one of my favorite things to do with my husband, too. Dance is another heartfelt art form I can't get enough of.
- Talking about books! Feel free to contact me about your favorite books. The baby Yoda meme below is totally, 100% me.