2020-2021 Band Activities for Remote Learning:
• Virtual performances: The CPP bands will participate in virtual performances during the semester where you will have an exciting opportunity to be part of the ensemble through a performance curriculum focused on individual development, small chamber and large virtual works
• Engage, collaborate, connect, and participate with other musicians in music making, small group activities, and discussions (all online)
• Connect with world class musicians and conductors through online masterclasses
• Learn how to use professional video/audio recording equipment (provided) and software to produce professional quality performances online
*Every member will be issued a professional quality video/audio recorder: Zoom Q2N-4K HD Video/Audio Recorder (w/accessories) https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/video-recording/zoom-q2n-4k-handy-video-recorder, provided by the Department of Music. However, you must be officially enrolled in either MU 3530L Wind Ensemble or MU 3520L Symphonic Winds to receive the recording equipment.
Spring 2021 Audition Instructions:
1. Please fill out the online Audition Personnel Form: CLICK HERE
2. Scroll down, and read below for your ensemble audition requirements. Percussion, please scroll to the bottom of this page for your audition excerpts.
3. All auditions will be submitted as video recordings. You are welcome to use a smartphone/tablet/laptop. Symphonic Winds: record two different videos-1. 7 Scales / 2. Audition Excerpt. Wind Ensemble: record four different videos- 1. 12 Major Scales/ 2. 12 Natural minor scales/ 3. Chromatic scale/ 4. Audition Excerpt
Please upload all videos to YouTube as "Unlisted" and email your video links to Dr. Rickey Badua (Director of Bands): email@example.com
4. All rehearsals/classes will occur online via Zoom, utilizing Blackboard as well for communication and assignments. To ensure professional quality recordings and optimal student success, each student will be provided a Zoom Q2N-4K HD Video/Audio Recorder (w/accessories) https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/video-recording/zoom-q2n-4k-handy-video-recorder. You can pick up this equipment from Will Wright Hooks (music technician) on campus at the Music Building Recital Hall -Box office (Bldg 24-Rm 188) by creating an appointment with him, read below.
You must setup an appointment to pick up this equipment by filling out this form: CLICK HERE (must use your CPP Email to log into the form)
If you have any questions about the equipment, please email Will Wright Hooks: firstname.lastname@example.org
5. If you need to rent an instrument and/or locker for the audition, please visit the webpages below and you must setup an appointment by filling out this form CLICK HERE (must use your CPP Email to log into the form)
*Instrument rental/Locker rentals are $15 per semester and is now accepting online payments How-to find the fee payment page for proof of payment Will will accept either the viewing of the student’s account on their personal device (preferable) or a printed confirmation of payment.
*You can schedule to receive both your instrument and recording equipment on the same appointment.
If you have any questions about the instrument rentals, please email Will Wright Hooks: email@example.com
6. If you have further questions about the audition process, visit this page: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Scheduling your classes:
If you intend to perform in a band, then do not schedule any classes during these times:
WIND ENSEMBLE: Mondays & Wednesdays, 2:00–3:50 PM (MU 3530L Wind Ensemble)
SYMPHONIC WINDS: Mondays & Wednesdays, 4:00–5:20 PM (MU 3520L Symphonic Winds)
By avoiding these days & times, you will not create a scheduling conflict between band rehearsal times and your other classes.
Symphonic Winds musicians, please prepare:
1. 7 major scales: C, G, D, F, Bb, Eb, Ab
2. Chromatic scale demonstrating the full range of your instrument (as low and high as you can comfortably play), slurred, and performed as fast as possible.
3. The provided audition excerpt, see below.
Wind Ensemble musicians, please prepare:
1. All 12 major & natural minor scales, chromatic scale demonstrating the full range of your instrument (as low and high as you can comfortably play), slurred, and performed as fast as possible.
2. The provided audition excerpt, see below. Please pay attention to the indicated tempo, style, and optional endings “a” (easy) or “b” (difficult).
PERCUSSION AUDITION EXCERPTS:
*Click on the upper right icon to download the packet.