Broughs of Nottinghamshire, England
The histories and genealogies of the Broughs of Nottinghamshire, England, extend back to the 1500's. In 1591, a George Broughe married Anne Lindbie in Hucknall Torkard, Nottinghamshire, and over the next three hundred years their descendants settled in Hucknall Torkard, Newark Upon Trent, Nottingham city, Staunton, Shelton, and Thoroton in the county of Nottinghamshire. Some of the descendants of George Brough are listed below:
George Brough, b.abt.1566, of Hucknall Torkard, Nottinghamshire, married Anne Lindbie in 1591 in Hucknall Torkard, Nottinghamshire. They had at least two sons.
Richard Brough, b.abt.1599, of Hucknall Torkard, Nottinghamshire, married Jane Berresford in 1624 in St. Peter's, Nottingham city. They had five children.
George Brough, chr. 1631, Shelton, Nottinghamshire, buried 1708 in Shelton, married Mary Wildman in 1656 in Hucknall Torkard, Nottinghamshire. They had four children.
Richard Brough, b.abt.1658, of Hucknall Torkard, Nottinghamshire, buried 1709 in Shelton (see below), married Catherine in about 1688 in Nottinghamshire. They had four children.
Richard Brough, chr.1694, Shelton, Nottinghamshire (Esquire), married Anne Charlton in 1716 at Staunton, Nottinghamshire. They had six children.
Job Brough, chr.1725, Thoroton, Nottinghamshire (Esquire, Attorney at Law), died 1795 in Newark, married Elizabeth Clough in 1756, Beverley, Yorkshire. They had five children.
Job Charlton Brough, chr.1757, Newark Upon Trent, Nottinghamshire, (Esquire, Attorney at Law). He was buried in 1806 in St. Mary, Staunton, Nottinghamshire.
Not far from Newark Upon Trent is the small village of "Brough" (shown within the red box on the map below), site of an ancient Roman fort or fortification--after which it was named (as the word "Brough" is an ancient English place-name meaning "camp, fortification, or manorhouse"). In April 2010, Philip and Bebe Brough of Staffordshire traveled to Brough, Nottinghamshire, and took the following photographs of the village and its chapel.