Elementary Gifted Student Program
WHAT IS GIFTED?
• While there is no universal definition of giftedness, it is generally accepted that gifted students:
– Demonstrates outstanding levels of aptitude in areas of interest (potentially one or more domain)
– Possess high levels of creativity and curiosity
– Have potential for high levels of achievement
• What gifted is not – gifted students are not guaranteed to be successful, chatty, well-behaved, put-together, organized, or superior
WHY DOES GIFTED MATTER?
• Gifted students are often our highest risk students in high school with a high chance of dropping out
– ~18%-25% of gifted students drop out of high school
– Average dropout rate is 7.4%
– Students may be ill-equipped for the rigors of an advanced class
– A disinterested gifted student can create a huge behavioral issue in the classroom