Brentwood Fire Department
Important Fall Update
As fall continues to move forward, it is time to awaken hibernating heating systems for another New England winter. Winter 2020 – 2021, we already know, will be unlike any other most of us has seen. The coronavirus has our attention, and we are all doing our part to keep our families, friends, and neighbors healthy. Many of us are distracted, and that is why we are taking this opportunity to remind you, our highest priority, about the importance of working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms.
Smoke alarms save lives by providing early detection and warning of a fire. Did you know that on average, fire doubles in size every minute? Combine that with everyday household items like furniture and construction innovation, and your firefighters face an enormous challenge referred to as time. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), between 2012-2016, smoke alarms were present in three quarters and sounded in fifty percent of residential fires reported in the United States. Conversely, the NFPA also reported that three out every five fatal homes fires did not have smoke alarms during the 2012-2016 time span. New Hampshire has a more frightening trend. In an awareness promotion, New Hampshire Fire Marshal Paul Parisi released that as of October 4, 2020, all the fatal homes fires in the State (in 2020); none had confirmed working smoke alarms. Please, if you do not have smoke alarms, install them in your home. If you have smoke alarms, please ensure they work by testing each one and change the batteries when you adjust your clocks twice a year.
Another danger lurks that can be more deadly then smoke. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas created during improper combustion. Fuels used for heat, including wood, oil, propane, and coal, emit carbon monoxide. People at high risk for carbon monoxide poisoning, even at low concentrations, include infants, anyone with breathing problems, heart conditions, and pregnancy. In 2017, 399 people died from unintentional carbon monoxide exposure, according to the Center for Disease Control. Symptoms of carbon monoxide are often mild and confused with the flu. In more extreme cases, death can result.
Let us take this opportunity to remind you to have your heating system cleaned yearly by a professional. Do not run a vehicle (or any internal combustion engine) in a garage. Vehicles produce an extraordinary amount of carbon monoxide in a short time. Did you know that carbon monoxide can kill a person in as little as 1-3 minutes in some instances? If you have a portable generator, do not run them in a garage. Only run a portable generator in a well-ventilated area at least ten feet from your home.
Install carbon monoxide alarms on each floor of your home, and like your smoke alarms, ensure they stay in working order and change the batteries simultaneously with your smoke alarms. If your smoke alarm or carbon monoxide alarm sound, please immediately evacuate your home and call 911. If you have questions about smoke alarms or carbon monoxide alarms, please contact the Brentwood Fire Department at 642-8132.
Good afternoon Brentwood residents. We want you to know we are working tirelessly to make sure we stay on top of the ever changing Covid-19 pandemic. We are in contact with local, state and federal agencies and following their instructions and guidelines. That being said here are a few ways to help us out:
Anything that can be done via phone we strongly encourage. Our number is 642-8132.
We are limiting the amount of people coming in and out of the station.
If you require our services, for any reason, please let the dispatcher know if anyone in your house is sick with flu like symptoms. If you think you have contracted the virus you need to contact your physician or the Department of Health and Human Services. If you dial 2-1-1 you will be connected with someone who can answer all your questions.
We are asking you to help us with this for a few reasons. We need to stay healthy in order to protect the community. If we become sick it will not take long for our resources and staff to be depleted. We want to prevent this so we will be available for the community.
Of course don’t hesitate to call if you are having an emergency. That’s what we are here for and we’d like to keep it that way.
Stay safe everyone. And remember to be kind, we are all experiencing something like we never have before.
The fire department has gone to very limited permitting at this time to help maintain social distancing. Should you wish to obtain a burn permit we ask that you go to the Division of Forestry and Lands web site. There is a tab for permits as well as a complete set of rules listed. Please pay attention to the Smokey Sign located on Rt 125. This will give you an idea of why you can or can not get a permit.