BK404 is a boutique music performance machine. Similar to working with an SP404, but it has no recording, editing, or sequencing features and is optimized entirely for live performance. Pocket-sized box boots up in seconds. Add a MIDI controller and rock anywhere, no computer needed.
- Unlimited file count and expandable memory (128GB+ via USB thumb drive)
- Smooth scrolling through files (no paging)
- Limited set of effects, designed for live play and always available (no multi-effect menu)
- Per-file effect bypass
- Supports pressure-sensitive MIDI controllers like the QuNeo for expressive play. Currently QuNeo is the only supported controller, although more may be added.
- No editing or sequencing feature clutter. No master clock or grid. Predictable behaviour.
- Drag-n-drop wav files onto the micro-sd card or stick in a USB thumb drive (no unusual memory cards or janky software tools)
- Designed from 20+ years of live performance and programming experience, drawing inspiration from beat machines, turntables, and software solutions.
Who is it for?
BK404 is for beatmakers who want a simple and reliable way to perform. It is for anyone who wants to work with tracks, loops, and samples, without being stuck behind a screen or in a grid. It gives you immediate hands-on control over your music. It does not replace turntables, and is not a good fit for DJs who beat-match and blend.
Currently distributing a few rev2 beta units for testing. Collecting bug reports and feature requests.
It is not my intent to mass-produce these, but to handcraft a limited number for musicians .
If you are interested, fill out the form.