The Bioinformatics Support Group Collaboration Mixer is a networking event aimed at bridging data science and life science research campus-wide. Graduate Students, Postdoctoral Fellows, Research Staff, and Faculty are cordially invited to join us for an afternoon of research project pitches, posters, and networking to foster new collaborations. This is event is free but please register above so that we may accommodate all guests.
This event is generously sponsored by the UCI Institute for Genomics and Bioinformatics.
3 pm - Research Project Pitches
The first hour will consist of concise 5 minute “Power Talks” to highlight specific projects or interests for which speakers are searching for collaborations. This will include presentations from a variety of fields including the life sciences and data science. Graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, research staff, and faculty are all welcome to request a presentation. Multiple talks from the same research group will only be considered if time slots are available after all other groups have submitted their requests.
4 pm - Social Hour
Event participants are encouraged to network and initiate conversations with potential collaborators. All participants are welcome to bring posters or other displays that may foster discussion - see below for details. Snacks and beverages will be provided at this time.
Research Project Pitches - THIS OPTION IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE
We are limited on the number of spots available. Please indicate on the registration form that you would like to pitch and provide a short description of the collaboration topic. You will be contacted to confirm your presentation spot.
For participants who would like to give a research project “pitch”, the following is required:
- Presentation website: All presenters must provide a short description of the project they are presenting for collaboration to be posted on our event page. A photo of yourself is encouraged, but not mandatory, to help others identify you at the event.
- Presentation: Presentations will adhere to a strict 5 minute time limit and 1 slide for visualization may be used. Within these 5 minutes, specifically address the following questions either verbally or within your slide (note: this should be discussed with you PI beforehand):
- What level of contribution is your lab open to (e.g. level of authorship on future publications)?
- What are the key interests and strengths of your lab?
- Which organism(s) do you study or are you open to studying?
- Are there specific project(s)/interests you are seeking collaboration for?
Research Project Posters - REQUESTS FOR DISPLAYS ARE STILL BEING ACCEPTED
Event participants (presenters and non-presenters) may display a poster or visual display to encourage discussion for potential collaboration opportunities. Please indicate on the registration form that you would like to display a poster and provide a short description of the collaboration topic. Only posters indicated at the time of registration and confirmed by the BSG will be displayed. Easels and clips will be provided.