Top 10 Best 3D Scanners for 2020
There is a growing 3D scanning market. By the end of 2025, the 3D scanning market is expected to reach $4 billion. 3D scanning has applications in engineering, architecture, manufacturing, healthcare, aerospace, and automotive among other industries.
The top 3D scanners offer unmatched versatility, performance, accuracy, and precision. It can be challenging to find the best 3D scanner. With this selection of top 3D scanners, it is easy to cut through the clutter and find a 3D scanner that is suitable for your application.
1. Da Vinci 3D Scanner
This is the best multifunctional 3D scanner for beginners. The Da Vinci 3D scanner comes with all the features that you would love to see in a scanner. It offers hassle-free versatility for beginners. It fulfills the demands of 3D printing and 3D scanning all in one machine. Any beginner looking to make a move to advanced methods of prototyping should acquire this scanner.
• Max print speed of up to 100mm/second
• 9-point calibration detection that adjusts the print bed along the Z-axis
• Output power of 350 mW±10%
• 100-400 microns
• Auto leveling
• Mono color
• Resume printing capability
• PLA/PETG/Tough PLA/Antibacterial PLA
Costs around $500
• The built-in scanner can rotate 360 degrees to capture the full object easily.
• It can scan anything from 1 inch cubed to 4.7 inches cubed.
• Wi-Fi connectivity- You can wirelessly send 3D files from your tablet, laptop, or computer. No lines or cables needed.
• Innovative auto-calibration
• Prints Safely- Prints only with non-toxic PLA filament made from natural materials such as sugarcane and corn starch.
• Multifunctional- It prints and scans.
• Hassle-free software
• Technical support offered
• Comes with free XYZ 3D resources including XYZ 3D gallery and XYZ 3D design software.
• Printing on a faster speed will lower the quality. This is the case with all top 3D scanners.
• Some calibration is needed. The product comes with a guide that will help you with calibration issues.
2. Matter and Form 3D Scanner
Turn real objects into 3D digital files with one of the top 3D scanners available in the market. This is an amazing tool for an amazing price. It combines superior performance with intuitive usability.
Matter and Form scanner is designed to slide smoothly into your workplace. It has easy plug and play setup. With the Adaptive Scanning technology of this scanner, it only takes 3 steps to scan any object.
• Scan accuracy: Within ± 0.1mm
• Operating Temperature: 15° - 32° C (60° - 90° F)
• Saves to multiple formats including PLY, STL, and point cloud.
• Connectivity: USB
• Recommended computer specs: RAM: 4GB, CPU: core i5
• Comes with tech support sheet for PC and MAC.
• Comes with a user manual and a PDF document on the Dos and Don'ts of 3D scanning.
It costs around $850.
• Capable of producing high resolution and intricate 3D representations
• Detailed color scans at resolution qualities that match or top that of more expensive scanners.
• Versatility- it works with almost any 3D printer or online printing service.
• Easy to use right out of the box
• Can be used with Mac or Windows PC
• Compact and portable
• Does not support earlier Windows versions such as Windows XP. Only works with Windows 7 and above.
3. XYZ Printing Da Vinci 3D Printer/Scanner
Snap your world in a whole new way with the Da Vinci Pro 3-in-1 printer. If you are seeking high-end 3D printing performance, look no further than the Da Vinci Pro 3-in-1. This is the perfect machine for becoming your own manufacturer. It is the ultimate maker's option.
The XYZ 3D printing community has passionate and creative designers. By purchasing this product, you will become part of this community. You will learn from other creators who have shared over 3,500 3D models that you can easily download.
• Built-in scanner can rotate 360 degrees
• Equipped with an aluminum print bed
• Optional laser engraving add-on capability
• Open source filament
• Compatible with Mac OS X 10.8 and Windows 7 and above
• Can print as small as 100 microns
It costs around $720.
• 3-in-1- 3D printing, 3D scanning, and laser engraving.
• Fully adjustable speed, heating, and retraction settings
• Finished scans are fully editable
• Capable of using third party 1.75 mm PLA and ABS filament.
• Wi-Fi connectivity
• Some maintenance required. You must clean the print head after every print. All top 3D scanners require maintenance.
4. XYZ Printing Full Color Handheld 3D Scanner
Powered by Intel's Real Sense Module, the XYZ full-color 3D scanner is fast in both processing speed and scanning ability. It is a compact and lightweight handheld scanner. Therefore, you can move it around with ease for hassle-free scanning and printing.
• Has four scan modes- body mode, object mode, head mode, and mask mode. This ensures that you get the best results when scanning.
• Maximum scan volume reaches 39.3(D) x 39.3(W) x 79.7 (H) inches
• Supports the most common 3D file formats
• Scan Resolution: 1.0-2.5 mm.
• Quality resolution of 640 x 480 at 30Fps.
It costs around $220.
• Full-color capture
• Full-body scan- you can scan the whole body with this hand-held gadget.
• Powered by Intel's Real Sense Module
• Scans with ease
• Technical support is offered. You can reach out to the technical team via telephone, Skype, or an online ticketing system.
• Offers value for money- Costs around $200 yet it performs just as good as expensive scanners.
• If you want to be able to scan a person, you need a fast processor and at least 8GB of memory. Top 3D scanners require superior specs.
5. HE3D Open Source DIY 3D System Scanner Kit
Finally, a 3D scanner that is affordable and works! The HE3D Open Source Scanner Kit is a DIY low-cost scanner that does a better job than many expensive 3D scanners. It costs around $100. Despite its low price, it is an amazing product. The molding is of decent quality.
• Weighs 4.59 pounds
• Connection: USB
• Scans still and opaque objects
• Scans objects less than 3kgs
• Scans nearly cylindrical objects
It costs around $120.
• High-quality build
• Easy to set up and use- There is a HE3D YouTube video that will guide you through assembly.
• Open source scanner
• Value for money
• Fast shipping
• It is not suitable for scanning irregular and complex objects.
6. 3D Systems SENSE2 3D Scanner
Transform the way you work with the best-in-class 3D scanning technology. The SENSE2 is the first handheld scanner to use the most advanced scanning technology from Intel. It makes use of a highly-sensitive infrared projector and HD color cameras.
The SENSE2 scanner connects the digital and physical worlds like never before. It delivers advanced scan processing creating a watertight 3D model. The SENSE2 offers state of the art 3D scanning for your business or academic institution.
• Offers full-color 3D scanning
• Short-range scanner
• Runs on Windows 8 and 10
• Full HD color
It costs around $460.
• Speeds up the data acquisition process by over 60%.
• Real Sense technology allows a higher resolution and a closer scan range than previous generation devices.
• It is lightweight and easy to maneuver. That will make the scanning process streamlined and simple.
• Processes data in real-time.
• It is priced very attractively. It costs about 10% less than other similar professional solutions.
• Expansive scan volume. This makes scanning objects efficient and easy regardless of size.
• Seamless integration with other Geo-magic products.
• Portable and practical.
• An amateur might find it hard to use this product. It has a learning curve. However, if you are determined, you will become an expert in no time.
7. EinScan Desktop 3D Scanner
Are you a professional 3D modeler? This is the most affordable professional-level scanner that you can buy. It comes with all the tools needed to get the job done as efficiently as possible.
Calibration is easy and the software is self-explanatory. The software will guide you through every step so even if you have never scanned before, you will not have an issue.
• Scan Mode: Automatic scan/ Free Scan
• Single Scan Range: 200mm*150mm
• Single Shot Accuracy: ≤0.1mm
• Point Distance: 0.17mm~0.2mm
• Scan Speed: <8s/<2s
• Memory Storage: 8G or more
• Requires NVIDIA Series graphic card
It costs around $1,400.
• Faster Scanning -A 360-degree scan under automatic scan is completed in less than 2 minutes.
• Higher efficiency.
• Supports third-party data sharing.
• Compatible to 3D Printer- Provides API access service for any brand of 3D printer.
• Automatic calibration, no rigid setup is required.
• Amazing single-shot accuracy.
• You need a computer with good RAM.
• Requires memory storage of 8G or more.
• Supports only dual-core processor (Core i5) or higher.
8. EinScan Pro+ Multi-Functional 3D Scanner
The EinScan-Pro series handheld 3D scanner is your best choice for capturing real-world data to convert into a digital 3D model. The EinScan Pro+ can be used for commercial and consumer applications in animation, artwork archival, testing, development, design, engineering, and manufacturing.
This 3D scanner allows you to use physical objects to better conceptualize an idea. This is an industrial level handheld scanner that is ideal for design research.
• Four Scan Modes- Fixed scan, automatic scan, handheld rapid scan, and handheld HD scan.
• White light functionality
• Industrial level 3D scanner
• Connectivity Technology: USB
• 1-year warranty
• Works with both PC and Mac
It costs around $5,200.
• 550,000 points/sec scan speed
• 0.05 mm accuracy
• The HD scan mode offers convenience with highly detailed and precise results.
• The fixed scan mode makes it possible to scan large, complicated workpieces and richly detailed sculptures.
• Can scan large objects with rich features.
• Portable- you can easily move this scanner during the scan process.
• The turntable is very convenient and easy to use.
• R2 functionality
• You cannot use this scanner while unhooked from the USB cord because it is not battery powered.
9. Matter and Form MFS 1V2 3D Scanner
Unlock your potential with a scanner powered by Matter & Form Studio. This scanner is designed to transform beginners to professionals. The M&F Studio has been designed over 5 years with valuable user feedback.
• Up to 0.1mm accuracy
• Supported on Windows and Mac
• HD CMOS imaging
• Maximum Object Weight: 3kgs
• 2 eye-safe lasers
It costs around $750.
• Sleek and foldable design- designed to slide smoothly in your workplace
• The perfect tool for the digital craftsman
• Equipped with Matter & Form software that allows you to get complete geometry in as little as 65 seconds
• Can be used with any 3D printer in the world
• USB 2.0 high-speed interface
• It is difficult to use this scanner to scan human faces.
10. Newest EinScan SE Desktop 3D Scanner
The EinScan SE is the next generation desktop 3D scanner. It comes with a new design and upgraded capacity. This is the perfect scanner for non-technical users.
• Dual Scan Modes- Free Scan and Automatic Scan
• Flexible scan range
• Scans in color
• Easy setup
• Color: Bright silver
• Supported File Formats: PLY, ASC, STL, and OBJ.
• Port: at least one USB 2.0/3.0 port
It costs around $1,400.
• Perfect for heritage preservation, archiving, animation, and reverse design
• Availability of multiple types of alignments
• Provides high accuracy of 0.05 mm for a single scan
• Brand new integrated design
• It cannot scan an object larger than 200mm.
You can buy a scanner for personal or professional use. If you want a scanner for professional use, you should consider your field of specialization and scanner size during the shopping process. If you want a scanner for personal use, you should consider your usage frequency.