Individual will demonstrate the basic skills and knowledge necessary to be a responsible and successful hobby beekeeper.
- One year beekeeping experience prior to sitting for the exams
- Pass the practical test by demonstrating the ability to:
- identify and describe the use of wooden-ware hive components
- light and properly use a smoker
- recognize the stages in the life cycle and differentiate between casts of bees, describe or locate the queen
- differentiate between pollen, capped honey, and different types of brood
- recognize propolis and describe its functions
- describe the layout of a brood nest, i.e., placement of honey, pollen and brood
- The written test includes materials covered during Institute lectures and labs, as well as homework assignments and readings.
NOTE: The Practical portion of the Certified Beekeeper Exam has two parts - each takes approximately 15 minutes:  an outdoor exam, where you will demonstrate your skills in lighting a smoker (and keeping it lit) and working a beehive, and  an indoor exam where you will identify certain beekeeping tools & equipment.