About the BC Numeracy Network
BC Numeracy Network
We are K-12 educators passionate about and committed to enhancing numeracy pedagogy through teacher professional inquiry in our school districts across the province. With gratitude, we acknowledge Maureen Dockendorf, for being the spark that ignited our work together.
Group members include: Jessica Willows (Gulf Islands), Sandra Ball (Surrey), Rhona Soutar (Campbell River), Debbie Nelson (Comox Valley), Vivian Collyer (Sooke), Janice Novakowski (Richmond), Laura Lancaster (Sooke), Jennifer Carter (Vernon), Jennifer Barker (Surrey), Susan Robinson (Gulf Islands), not pictured: Deanna Lightbody (Langley)
What is the Balanced Numeracy Project?
Drawing upon the research base for balanced literacy programs and the results from BC's Changing Results for Young Readers project, our goal is to develop a framework to heighten awareness balanced numeracy programs in our province.
Our Balanced Numeracy Project includes:
- a framework that clearly illustrates the necessary components of balanced numeracy in the classroom
- an electronic resource accessible to educators throughout BC
- alignment with the BC Redesigned Curriculum for Kindergarten to Grade 12
- a “living resource” with examples of numeracy routines, structures, activities and inquiries contributed by educators at various levels and in many BC contexts
- support for professional learning that develops increased confidence, understanding, and joy in mathematics education
- all of the resources on this site reflect our own experiences in BC classrooms