Piridalil is a work in progress started in 2016. it's almost finished. I'm still deciding how to describe this character and what he means. Piridalil is a Persian word for a guide or teacher. Pir also means 'feather', and Dalil means 'proof'. This suit to me will come to represent the chevalier, the gentleman. The tessellating shapes in the costume are patterned to look like feathers, and I do feel there's a regal aspect to what Piridalil will come to represent. Soon I will have a better explanation for who this character is and what they represent.

below are process photographs ordered with most recent images first. through these photographs you can see how I created the headpiece my methods from masking the complex pattern of the suit. the viewer may want to start from the bottom.

studio view almost finished.
front view almost finished
I painted to white lines maroon to match the headdress
the headdress and the suit didn't quite match
Eyes are painted onto the beak of the headdress
White bands are being repainted purple
purple is being tested for the bands separating the feathers.
after a latex coat, painting begins
Eyes are painted onto the beak of the headdress
White bands are being repainted purple
purple is being tested for the bands separating the feathers.
after a latex coat, painting begins
Side view of tessellating shapes in the headdress
Front view of tessellating shapes
Helmet is pinned in place using EVA foam
I began working on the helmet
a lavender pattern is added to the white lines
a lavender pattern is added to the white lines
color is hand painted over the feather texture
color is hand painted over the feather texture
visual texture is added using actual peacock feathers as a print.
visual texture is added using actual peacock feathers as a print.
the arms are spread to paint underneath
complete removal of blue tape mask
complete removal of blue tape mask
The tape was peeled away
Those shapes were painted magenta
The mannequin was sprayed blue, with some shapes masked so that they would stay white.
The mannequin was sprayed blue, with some shapes masked so that they would stay white.
blue masked lines covering the whole body of the mannequin
these lines were overlayed with blue masking tape
lines traced onto the back of the suit as well.
this template was used just to put lines in the right place on the body of the suit.
Here are the front and backs of the template applied to the mannequin
I cut out the shapes in the suit. I thought that I would use them for stenciling originally
I attach blue masking tape of the desired thickness to the template over the pattern lines.
after flattening out the body templates, I projected the pattern onto a wall and traced the pattern onto the template
Then I cut away the sections of the template using a blade.
I wrapped the mannequin in saran wrap and then duct tape. I labeled the parts of the suit.
When creating a suit it's very important to have a form fitting template.