Baghe Ferdows

Baghe Ferdows or Ferdows Garden

Ferdows Garden or Baghe Ferdows is one of the most valuable and historic houses in the Shemiranat district of Tehran and in one of the old regional neighborhoods of the same name, which has remained since the Qajar Dynasty to this day and has been used since 2002 in the name of the Museum of Cinema.

Many beautiful Stucco can be seen in the Baghe Ferdows. Rounded and thick pillars, decorated with artistic craftsmanship Baghe Ferdows is located in Shemiran, near Vali-e-Asr St and Tajrish Square. Now the Iranian cinema museum is located in this place.

History of Baghe ferdows

On the orders of Mohammad Shah Qajar, in 1264 a Pa;ace was built for him near Tajrish, but at the same time as his illness and death, the palace remained intact for half the time, and he died in the same palace, all the time, in the name of Muhammadiyah (in the current Mahmudiyeh area). At the same time as building the Palace of Mohammadiyah, the nearby courtiers set up a garden or bungalow at the same time. Including Hossein Ali Khan Miyar al-Malik Baghi, who became known as Baghe Ferdows.

Hossein Ali Khan's son, Ali Khan Nezam o Dowlah, the architect of Isfahani and Yazdi, built a building in the southern part of the garden and called it the "Baghe Ferdows". Stairs and other sections of the building were covered with Yazd marble and the walls of the room with outstanding golden papers; but his son, Dostomohammadkhan, did not pay much attention to the garden and its building, And over time, the building fell into ruin, to the extent that its marble stones were taken and taken to the Amiriyeh mansion (Madrese Neazam). Subsequently, the ownership of the garden was handed several times, until finally, in 1318, during the reign of Muzaffar al-Din Shah Qajar, Mohammad-ol-Khan the Sepahsalar Tonekaboni bought it from the heirs of Amin al-Malik.

In addition to the construction of the fountains and pools, the Sepahsalar also revived the Baghe Ferdows and paved the magnificent portal in the manifestation of the Qanat (the current square of Baghe Ferdows), but due to the debt to the trading company of Tumānānis, he gave him the garden and the Tumānānis In return for debt, the garden was handed over to the Reza Khan government. Finally, in 1316, the Ministry of Education purchased the building and restored the building and founded Shapur Tajrish High School.

About Baghe Ferdows

Baghe Ferdows’s mansion was built on two floors in Qajar style and famous for the elephant's ears(Gooshfill). The grounds of the southern part and the downhill of the garden were also arranged in seven plots of rustic material, and on each of the parts, a pool with several fountains was constructed. The pools were designed to look larger at distances. In the year 1350, the building in the garden turned into a cultural and artistic center and exhibit, and after the revolution, the Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance provided it. The area of the Baghe Ferdows is 20,000 square meters and its length is 280 meters and its slope is from northwest to southeast.

Also, Dr. Mahmud Afshar Yazdi bought in 1316 a part of the garden and an indoor building of about 6,000 square meters, gradually bringing the garden area to 12,000 square meters by purchasing neighboring parts. Then in 1337, the garden and its buildings were dedicated to the cultural affairs, Among them, in 1352, a part of it was granted to the University of Tehran for the establishment of the Dehkhoda Institute and the Institute of Archeology, which is still in existence.

Baghe Ferdows Addresses

Baghe Ferdows is located in Shemiran, near Vali-e-Asr St and Tajrish Square. Now the Iranian cinema museum is located in this place.