Reasons for Bad Breath and Ways You Can Prevent It
Bad breath is one of the most undesirable features a person can have. Still, a lot of people have it. And some people have the chronic problem of bad breath, also known as chronic halitosis.
Before you try finding cure for the bad breath, you first need to check if you have bad breath. There is a simple way to check. Consider the following points to run this small test.
- Get a spoon and lick the back of it
- Allow saliva to dry on the spoon
- The smell it will give out would be the smell of your breath
You don’t have to hate yourself if you are not happy with the test results. Everyone can have bad breath from time to time. You don’t have to worry much about it either unless you don’t have chronic problem of bad breath.
Main reasons for bad breath
After you know that you do have the bad breath, now is the time to know about the reason(s) behind it.
- The first thing to mention that makes your breath really bad is the poor oral hygiene. It is quite obvious, i.e. you allow bad bacteria to take control of your mouth and do the damage when you do not take care of your oral hygiene. As a result of pH misbalance and excessive plaque and tartar, your breath really becomes foul. Therefore, you need to make sure that you brush and floss your teeth according to recommendations. And use non-alcoholic and freshening mouthwash to rinse your mouth.
- Even if you take care of your oral hygiene in the best way according to your understanding, it is quite difficult to ensure complete dental hygiene. This is the reason that routine dental visits are recommended for everyone.
- One of the most essential things for the oral health is adequate presence of saliva in the mouth. If your oral cavity runs out of saliva most of the times, the bad bacteria in the mouth find it as the opportunity to take over your mouth because good bacteria need saliva to thrive. If you have chronic problem of dry mouth, you can get it checked by your dentist or health physician. In general, you need to keep your mouth hydrated to retain saliva in your mouth.
- Another major reason for the bad breath is tobacco consumption. When you chew tobacco or smoke, you let the bad smelling chemicals to ruin not only your oral health but they also cause several different serious health conditions which can turn out to be fatal in the long run.