Welcome to the Association for Women in Science (AWIS) at the University of Michigan!
We are the proud Michigan chapter of the national AWIS organization, dedicated to providing women with the skills and support they need to succeed in STEM.
Email us now to be added to our AWIS emailing list! You'll get biweekly updates with events and opportunities.
Michigan AWIS news and updates
Young Scientists' Expo: We are currently recruiting mentors and volunteers for our annual collaboration with local Forsythe Middle School, who we help put on a science fair featuring students' experiments. Sign up to volunteer as a mentor or expo organizer!
September 2018: Join us for our fall welcome event at Cottage Inn! Sept. 25, 5:30-8:30 p.m. in the Michigan room (upstairs). Get more information about what AWIS does, meet your mentoring circle, and discuss issues about women in STEM and how we can support each other. Stop by even if you weren't able to RSVP!
August 2018: Mentoring circle applications for the 2018-2019 season are now being accepted! Apply here. Deadline: Sept. 21, 2018.
Call for editors and writers!
Are you passionate about communicating science? Do you want to share your experiences in research? Consider joining our new team of writers for the AWIS UM blog!
We invite posts on a range of topics, such as (but not limited to):
- Your experiences in graduate school
- Job searching and negotiating
- Advice for undergraduates thinking about grad school
- Issues in gender and science
- Op-eds on current events, university policies, etc.
- Open to any topics related to women in STEM or life in academia!
For more information or to send us a short pitch, email email@example.com.
- September 25: Fall welcome event @ Cottage Inn, 5:30-8:30 p.m.
- October 1: Mentoring circles begin meeting!
- November 11: PI panel
- November 13: Grad school statement editing event
- January 17: Mid-year all-member event
- February: Mentoring circle event; post-doc panel
- March 16-17th : Youth Science Expo
- April 4: End-of-year picnic
Tag us on Instagram (@awis_um) & Twitter (@AWiS_UM) so we can share your awesome research and outreach work! Doing cool fieldwork? Share it! Stuck in lab pipetting for the ninth straight hour? Share that too!
Know someone who inspires and pushes you? Tell us who your mentors are - we will highlight them in a mini-profile on Instagram! (They can be anyone - a faculty advisor, colleague, or even your mom!)