Avinash (Gannamaneni) Collis
I am a doctoral candidate at the MIT Sloan School of Management specializing in the economics of digitization and advised by Erik Brynjolfsson. I am part of the research team at the MIT Initiative on the Digital Economy.
I am a principal investigator at the MIT Measuring the Economy Project. Please contact me if you are interested in collaborating on expanding our research agenda.
Address: MIT Sloan School of Management, E62-365, 100 Main St., Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Measuring Welfare with Massive Online Choice Experiments: A Brief Introduction (with Erik Brynjolfsson, Felix Eggers), 2018. American Economic Association - Papers and Proceedings 108 : 473-76. (Download)
- Using Massive Online Choice Experiments to Measure Changes in Well-being (with Erik Brynjolfsson and Felix Eggers), 2018. NBER Working Paper No. 24514. (Download). (Revised and Resubmitted).
- Media coverage: The Economist (1, 2), Financial Times (1, 2, 3), Washington Post, Bloomberg (1, 2), The Wall Street Journal, NPR, The Guardian, Buzzfeed, Quartz (1, 2), CNN, The Boston Globe, The Sydney Morning Herald, Die Welt, Boing Boing, Marginal Revolution, MIT Sloan Management Review, Harvard Law Review, Brookings, AEI (1, 2), Project Syndicate, De Standaard (1, 2), Neue Zürcher Zeitung, Le Temps, Spektrum, SG.hu, Revista Mercado, Il Sole 24 Ore (1, 2), Diário de Notícias, Diario Gestión, Periódico elDinero, The Star, The National, Forbes India, Euro2day, Il Foglio, Báo Người Lao Động, The Economic Observer (经济观察网), Südkurier, Avenir Suisse, University of Groningen
- Presented at:
- CRIW workshop, NBER Summer Institute, July 2016
- Workshop on Information Systems and Economics (WISE), December 2016 (Best student paper award)
- NBER Winter Digitization Meeting, March 2017
- NBER Productivity Lunch, April 2017
- MIT Economics Department IO Lunch, May 2017
- Digital Initiative Discussion & Symposium, HBS, May 2017
- MIT Initiative on the Digital Economy Annual Conference, May 2017 (Video)
- ZEW Conference on The Economics of Information and Communication Technologies, June 2017
- Society for Economic Measurement Conference, July 2017
- IMF 5th Statistical Forum, November 2017
- American Economic Association (AEA) Annual Meeting, January 2018 (AEA Webcast)
- Stanford GSB, Operations, Information & Technology Group, March 2018 (Invited Seminar)
- Munich Summer Institute, June 2018
- GDP-B: Accounting for the Value of New and Free Goods in the Digital Economy (with Erik Brynjolfsson, Erwin Diewert, Felix Eggers and Kevin Fox), 2019. (Draft available on request).
- Media coverage: Financial Times, BBC, The Times, The Australian, Independent
- Presented at:
Research in Progress
- Field experiments on digitization, productivity and well-being
- Do Wikipedians pay to be Wikipedians? Measuring the welfare gains obtained by Wikipedia editors (with Jana Gallus, Aaron Halfaker)
- Efficient business models in a zero marginal cost digital economy (with Erik Brynjolfsson and Michael Zhang)
- Optimal Platform Price Discrimination and the Value of Network Effects (with Seth Benzell)
- Hypothetical Bias in Choice Experiments (with Erik Brynjolfsson, Felix Eggers)
- Presented at: Marketing Group, University of Groningen, June 2017 (Invited Seminar)
- Algorithmic Bias in Online Advertising: The Case of For-Profit College Ads (with Avi Goldfarb, Catherine Tucker)
- Presented at: Conference on Digital Experimentation (CODE) @ MIT, October 2016
GDP and well-being in the digital economy (with Erik Brynjolfsson). OECD Science, Technology and Innovation Outlook 2018.
Older Publications (pre-PhD)
- The Impact of Openness on the Market Potential of Multi-sided Platforms: A Case Study of Mobile Payment Platforms (with Jan Ondrus & Kalle Lyytinen), Journal of Information Technology 2015. (Download)
- A Post-Failure Analysis of Mobile Payment Platforms (with Jan Ondrus & Kalle Lyytinen), Proceedings of the 48th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS) 2015. (Download) (Nominated for best paper award)