Alta Vista Drama Club
Sunday, Feb 4th
Wow!! The kids were AMAZING in their performances!! Don't forget to RSVP to the cast party so they can celebrate. Videos and pictures will be coming soon.
PS - please log your hours!
It's been a pleasure working with your sweet, fun, talented kids!!
Friday, Feb 2nd
If you or family members have any cancellations or do not plan to attend, please email me at email@example.com and I will try to match them with a family on our waiting list.
Please remember no flash photography and no video during the performances. These not only distract the actors on stage and obstruct the view for other audience members, but the kids really need to look out and see a bunch of smiling and engaged faces, not a bunch of phones and cameras. :)
But rest assured! We are taking photos and videos of the performances and will send out these links after the shows are over. Now you can just sit back, relax and enjoy the shows! And remember, the actors feed off your energy - so laugh, smile, and clap!
MAKEUP & MESSY FOOD
Once your actor's base makeup is on, please put it away and ask that he / she does not bring it back out during the show. There should be no additional makeup either. The costumes are beginning to get makeup and spills on them, and we need them to make it through the final show.
Sunday, January 28th
DRESS REHEARSALS BEGIN TOMORROW
- MONDAY CAST: Monday, 1/29 3:00-7:00
- THURSDAY CAST: Tuesday, 1/30: 3:00-7:00
ATTENDANCE: Dress rehearsals are mandatory. If your actor is sick please immediately contact their double and text Lisa (408) 375-4825 as soon as possible!
EAT A SNACK before dress rehearsal! If they will need an additional snack, please do not send anything messy that may drip or stain (i.e. chocolate, anything with sauce etc)
MAKEUP & HAIR: Please have kids meet at the outdoor lunch tables after school. Parents can meet their kids there at 2:40 and apply their child's base stage makeup and do their hair as indicated in your email from the makeup team. If you are not able to be there for your child, please try to ask another parent to help your child .
COSTUMES: Please send your child with their assigned base costume items on under their street clothes or have them change into them in the bathroom after school.
WHAT TO BRING:
- Please send your child in their BASE costume UNDER their street clothes
- Makeup kit and hair comb or brush as outlined in email from Makeup Team
- A hearty snack to eat immediately after school and, if necessary, a second small (nut free) snack in a labeled lunch bag. Food IS NOT allowed in cast rooms this year. Bags should be placed in the bin outside of the castroom and kids will be able to eat on the bench outside as time allows.
- Labeled water bottle and anything else your child may bring into the cast room (ipads, books etc)
- An easily identifiable bag, labeled with your child’s name for all of their belongings.
DRESS REHEARSAL SCHEDULE
- 3:00 PM: CHECK IN Cast room supervisors will begin checking kids in the cast rooms at 3pm. Please have your child supervised until the.
- 3:00-4:00pm MAKEUP & HAIR: Actors requiring special makeup or hair will be sent to hair and makeup. All cast will change into costumes. Headshots (photos) will be taken for the lobby board.
- 4:30-7:00pm DRESS REHEARSAL SHOW: Actors will perform for an audience of teachers and staff.
- 7:00pm PICK UP: Actors must turn in all costume items to a Costume Team Member before they are released to leave. Please be patient at pick up as this process may take 10-15 minutes. Actors must also be checked out with the cast room supervisors to ensure they left with an adult. Your child should not leave with any costume items that they did not arrive in!
Sunday, January 28th:
HELP IN THE CAST ROOM IS NEEDED!
Please let us know if you can help with with one of these shifts:
- Monday (3:00-7:00)
- Thursday (5:00-9:00)
- Saturday (1:00-5:00)
Thursday, December 11th
REMINDER ABOUT EXPENSES
TICKETS FOR CAST FAMILIES - 4 PER FAMILY PER ROUND
Round Two Cast family ticket sales go on sale today at 8pm! Please remember you can only buy 4 TICKETS PER FAMILY for each round.
Monday, December 8th
TECH REHEARSAL CALENDAR POSTED
Please make sure your actors are available for the mandatory tech week rehearsals.
TICKETS FOR CAST FAMILIES - 4 PER FAMILY PER ROUND
Round One Cast family ticket sales go on sale today at 8pm! Please remember you can only buy 4 TICKETS PER FAMILY for each round.
Wednesday, December 6th
JANUARY REHEARSAL CALENDAR IS POSTED
Please check the calendar tab for the January rehearsal calendar. You can still scroll down to Nov / Dec.
Please check the days and roles carefully. Look for notes that call BOTH CASTS that may not be your normal rehearsal day, and remember that we move to two rehearsals per week in January (Mon/Fri & Tues/Thurs).
Monday, December 4th
COSTUME PARADE ON DECEMBER 9th
Please remember that there is a mandatory costume parade on Saturday December 9th. Please check the schedule to see when your actor needs to attend.
Saturday, November 25th
REMINDERS AS WE HEAD BACK
Art Contest: Please have your artists turn in their artwork by Friday, December 1st.
Costume Parade: Please refer to this sheet to purchase the items for your child's role(s) before the Costume Parade on Saturday, 12/9. More details coming soon!
T-Shirt Handout: Please swing by the cafeteria after school on your assigned day to pick up your child's Drama Club t-shirt, even if your child is not called for rehearsals that day.
- Monday Cast come to the cafeteria on Monday, 11/27 at 2:40 to get your t-shirt.
- Thursday Cast come to the cafeteria on Thursday, 11/30 at 2:40 to get your t-shirt.
Adult/Family T-shirt Interest: We've had a couple of requests for adult t-shirts for family members. If you are interested, please fill out this form and drop a check written out to AVHSC for $10 in the Drama Club box in the office by Thursday 11/30. Note there is a 12 shirt minimum, so if there is not enough interest, we will return the checks to you.
Monday, November 13th
IMPORTANT COSTUME INFORMATION
Your child will be "dressed" in full stage clothes/costumes at the Costume Parade on Saturday, 12/9. Although most of your child's costume will be provided and kept in the drama club wardrobe, parents will need to provide the "Base Costume" as well as some underclothes for modesty during costume changes.
Please carefully look through each tab of this spreadsheet to find your child's name and requirements. You can do this quickly by holding down "Control" and "F" and then typing your child's name in the field for each tab.
Please feel free to use items that you already own if they meet the requirements for the base costume and boys underclothes, or you may need to purchase them. We have linked examples to some pieces to assist you in identifying items. You can purchase from these links and websites or purchase on your own wherever you prefer.
Monday, November 6th
REMINDER: 2:45 REHEARSAL START TIME
Just a reminder that rehearsals are still at 2:45, even with early dismissals.
Wednesday, October 18th
NOV & DEC CALENDAR POSTED
The November / December Rehearsal Calendar is now posted on the website. You can also find it attached.
Please pay careful attention to the (BOTH CASTS) references. For some roles, actors will be called on a Monday, even if they are in the Thursday cast and vice versa.
Friday, October 6th
Please check the rehearsal calendar each week to make sure your child's role is called. They will not need to come every week.
Please tell your child to bring their scripts. We highlight them at every singing rehearsal. If your child misses a singing rehearsal, they will need to copy the highlighting from one of the other students who has the same role.
Remember to listen to the music - it really helps at singing rehearsals!
Remember to practice singing! After we learn the song, use the highlighted script to know what to sing and when to sing it. It will also help them know when not to sing. :)
Tuesday, October 3rd
We are excited to announce this year's art work contest! The winning design for each cast will be displayed on tickets, posters, and programs. Here are the details and directions:
1) Beginning today, you can pick up your paper in the office. The paper is in a folder labeled "Artwork Contest" in the blue Drama Club box under the table on the floor.
2) Your artists will create a design for the My Son Pinocchio Jr posters, programs, and tickets.
3) Please have your artists turn in their artwork by Friday, December 1st. You can put the completed artwork in folder marked "Calabria" or the folder marked "Tuscany.”
4) Our Principal, Mr. Thomas, will choose two winners and we will announce the winners the following week.
- Please include the title of the play, "My Son Pinocchio Jr." on the drawing.
- Make sure your artists include their name and their cast in pencil on the back. (Calabria = Monday cast or Tuscany = Thursday cast)
- Get creative! Pencil, pen, colored pencils, and markers are perfect
- Please do not trace any existing artwork/designs - we want to see unique artwork!
- Encourage your artists to fill as much of the paper as possible. Artwork should be clear and legible from a distance
- Orientation should be portrait (taller rather than wider)
- Please be sure to use the 8.5 x 11 card stock paper from the office
- One entry per child
Friday, September 29th
Our first week of rehearsals for My Son Pinocchio got off to great start! We took head shots of each of the actors during rehearsals this week to include in the program, and now we are going to collect biographies. If you've paged through a Playbill at the theater, no doubt you've noticed the section where cast biographies are printed. We do the same thing here in our AV Drama programs. Each actor will have his or her biography printed next to their head shot. The biography tells a little bit about the actor (mostly what productions they may have been in and their hobbies and interests).
Thursday, September 28th
FIRST THURSDAY REHEARSAL TODAY!
We are excited to get started! If your child is in the Thursday Cast, please send them to rehearsal today from 2:45-5:00. The rehearsal calendar is posted and both casts will have ALL CAST rehearsals this week. Please pack your child a snack and water for all rehearsals. Please do not pack nuts.
Monday, September 25th
REHEARSALS BEGIN TODAY!
We are excited to get started! If your child is in the Monday Cast, please send them to rehearsal today from 2:45-5:00. The rehearsal calendar is posted and both casts will have ALL CAST rehearsals this week. Please pack your child a snack and water for all rehearsals. Please do not pack nuts.
Friday, September 22nd
CALLBACK LOCATION CHANGE TO LIBRARY
Today's callback auditions will be in the library. If your child is scheduled to come today, please go directly to the library at their scheduled time and wait outside until your child is called in. Please plan to stay outside during your child's audition (with the exception of Geppetto, who can be dropped off).
The Cast List will be sent to the Google Group on Sunday, 9/24 at 5pm. Please do NOT share this email with other families. We are sharing the cast list only over the Google Google group deliberately to ensure that all families are members of the group. This will be an essential communication tool for us throughout the production. Please encourage your friends to subscribe on our home page if they have not already.
Please remember: This is an exciting and sometimes difficult part of the production process. Some children will be disappointed with their roles. There are only so many lead roles and this is bound to happen. Please support them by communicating how proud you are of the work they've put into their auditions. It's very difficult to stand up and sing in front of others and they all did it, and did great! Please help them understand that every role is important and that we are all working together to create a wonderful show. It is going to be a lot of fun.
Tuesday, September 19th
We will not provide a device for playing background tracks (except a CD Player). If your actor chooses to have background music, please send him or her with a device that is ready to go when they are called. Ideally, this is a downloaded song, not a live YouTube video, as they often have ads and require an internet connection. **Again, playing background tracks is totally optional! This is for actors who prefer to have music.
If possible, please list your actor's name on the sign-up for the audition as it's often difficult to decipher who's coming in when the adult names are listed.
These are new this year and may have caused some confusion. If your actor does not get the dance callback sheet you do not need to come on Thursday.
Saturday, September 16th
Auditions begin Monday!
Wednesday, September 13th
Registration is closed
If you have not completed the steps for registration, please do so now!
Wednesday, September 13th.
Auditions begin Monday, 9/18. If you haven't already, please make sure to sign up your child for an audition time as soon as possible. If you have not received the link from us but feel you have completed all of the necessary steps for registration, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is one more audition class tomorrow, Thursday 9/14, from 3-5 in the cafeteria. This is optional, free, and there is no sign-up. Just show up!
Tuesday, September 12th
Please complete ALL steps of the registration process! We have families on the waiting list who are waiting to hear if they will be added.
If you are adding your name to the waiting list, please do NOT do any other steps.
FIRST 100 REGISTRANTS:
COMPLETE THESE STEPS:
- $150 Registration Fee on MySchoolAnywhere
- Volunteer Commitment or $250 Buyout check in Drama Club Box (school office) - Write "BUYOUT" in notes
- Audition Information Form
- Sign Up for Google Group
- $250 Deposit Check dropped in Drama Club Box (school office) - Write "DEPOSIT" in notes
DO NOT COMPLETE ANY STEPS OTHER THAN THE WAITING LIST FORM: http://bit.ly/2xKOrCM
Friday, September 8th
We've reached our capacity of 100 registrants. We are now collecting names for the waitlist.
If you have not completed all of the steps for registration, please do so as soon as possible. You can find all of the steps on the registration page of this site. Once ALL steps are complete, we will send you an audition sign up sheet.
Wednesday, September 6th
Registration opens on Friday, Sept 8th at 7:00am for the 2017-2018 school year, and ends on Friday, September 15th. Go to the Registration Tab of this site for links to the forms and sign-ups.
Thursday, August 31st
Things you can do now to get the process started!
- Sign up for the Google Group to get updates and important information.
- Check out the Volunteer Guide to find a role that's right for you!
- Sign up for a volunteer role on the sign-up sheet or drop off your $250 buyout check in the drama club box in the office (write it out to AVHSC and write BUYOUT in the notes!)
- Drop off your deposit check for $250 in the drama club box in the school office. (write it out to AVHSC and remember to write DEPOSIT on the check so we don't cash it as a buyout! )