The Great Market

Trading has taken place here since at least the 1200’s and the area has been devastated by fire and recovered. Initially the market was surrounded by merchant’s houses and dealt mainly in livestock and provisions. Now a wide variety of essential and luxury goods are sold from market stalls and from permanent stores, many of which are very interesting buildings.