corporate (mis)conduct: prevent - detect - respond
Anna Romberg is a driven anti-corruption, compliance and corporate governance expert known for ”making things happen in complex organisations”. She has deployed ethics and compliance organisations and programs in Telia Company and Cargotec and has interacted with regulators in several jurisdictions. Based on her broad in-house experience from internal audit, internal controls, risk management and compliance she is now assisting global companies in managing corporate conduct risk.
prevention is always cheaper
- With unique in-house experience from auditing, internal control, compliance and investigations I support companies with the design and deployment of an effective assurance framework.
- How is the assurance work arranged for? Are the assurance, governance and control related functions working in silos? Do you make use of the scarce resources and existing information in a coordinated and structured way? More often than not we see that a compliance scandal could have been anticipated by the company and that indications of severe misconduct or weaknesses have been brought up in internal records and audit reports several years earlier.
- I support companies with risk assessments, process and control development and training activities.
- I will work together with the relevant internal functions to assess and develop an effective assurance framework and organisation. It can take the form as a 'combined assurance' activity, 'cultural risk assessment' , 'compliance monitoring' or developing a 'fraud prevention program and controls'.
- I have worked with designing and implementing an anti-bribery and corruption compliance program under the scrutiny of the US authorities and have first hand experience of what is deemed adequate and effective.
- Fixing corporate conduct is always a change management effort creating frictions, struggles and contradictions which may be very exhaustive and time consuming for the internal team. As an interim expert I provide hands on support to the audit, compliance and other relevant teams throughout this period.
- I am well placed to assist the Chief Compliance Officer and will work together with the organisation to ensure that the internal remediation efforts are adequately designed, implemented and followed-up.
when there is an issue
- During a process of detected corporate misconduct there is a lot ongoing in the organisation including e.g. law firms, forensic accountants, internal investigators and auditors. The Board and management must ensure that the reaction is adequate, timely and holistic. The remedial efforts must span across a variety of functions.
- As a former Chief Ethics and Compliance (CECO) officer I will offload the CECO/ general counsel and take care of coordinating the investigation and remedial efforts, ensuring adequate documentation, execution and reporting to both internal and external stakeholders such as the board, and external stakeholders, such as regulators and investors.
- I am very familiar with complex organisations and to work effectively and efficiently during a time of distress and urgency. I am used to navigate the political game within big corporations to get things done and to ensure Board and executive management buy in and commitment.