J. Andrew Newman, Ph.D.
My research interests are in probability and combinatorics, especially randomness in the context of topology and geometry.
Email: newman [at] math [dot] tu-berlin [dot] de
Phone: +49 (0)30 314 - 25819
Office: Institut für Mathematik, MA 6-2, TU Berlin, Office 619, Straße des 17. Juni 136, 10623 Berlin
- Doubly random polytopes. https://arxiv.org/abs/2006.07000
- with Matthew Kahle. Topology and geometry of random 2-dimensional hypertrees. https://arxiv.org/abs/2004.13572
- with Janko Böhm, Michael Joswig, and Lars Kastner. Random growth on a Ramanujan graph. https://arxiv.org/abs/1908.09575
- with Francisco Criado. Randomized construction of complexes with large diameter. https://arxiv.org/abs/1905.13524 .
- with Davide Lofano. The worst way to collapse a simplex. https://arxiv.org/abs/1905.07329. To appear in Israel Journal of Mathematics.
- On the complexity of random polytopes. https://arxiv.org/abs/1904.10225.
- with Elliot Paquette. The integer homology threshold in Y_d(n, p). https://arxiv.org/abs/1808.10647.
- A lower bound on the number of homotopy types of simplicial complexes on n vertices. https://arxiv.org/abs/1804.06787.
- Small simplicial complexes with prescribed torsion in homology. Discrete & Computational Geometry 2018. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00454-018-9987-y.
- with Matthew Kahle, Frank H. Lutz, and Kyle Parsons. Cohen--Lenstra heuristics for torsion in homology of random complexes. Experimental Mathematics 2018. https://doi.org/10.1080/10586458.2018.1473821
- Freeness of the random fundamental group. Journal of Topology and Analysis 2018. https://doi.org/10.1142/S1793525319500468
- with Tao Jiang. Small dense subgraphs of a graph. SIAM Journal on Discrete Mathematics 2017 31:1, 124-142. https://doi.org/10.1137/15M1007598
- Ph.D. , Mathematics. Completed July 2018. The Ohio State University. Dissertation: Torsion in Homology of Random Simplicial Complexes. Advisor: Prof. Matthew Kahle.
- MA, Mathematics. Completed June 2013. Miami University. Advisor: Prof. Tao Jiang.
- BA, Mathematics. Completed January 2011. Franklin College.
Conference & Seminar Talks
- Geometry and Control Seminar. SISSA. February 18, 2020.
- Combinatorics Seminar. Czech Academy of Science, Institute of Computer Science. February 12, 2020
- Applied Topology Seminar. University of Aberdeen. February 5, 2020
- Stochastic Analysis Seminar. Technische Universität Berlin. January 13, 2020
- Algebra Oberseminar. Universität Osnabrück. November 19, 2019
- Session on Random Geometry and Topology. SIAM Conference on Applied Algebraic Geometry. Universität Bern. July 11, 2019
- Computational Topology Seminar. Technische Universität München. February 15, 2019.
- Combinatorics and Graph Theory Seminar. Freie Universität Berlin. November 28, 2018.
- Discrete Geometry Seminar. Freie Universität Berlin. November 22, 2018.
- Facets of Complexity Monday Lecture. Technische Universität Berlin. June 4, 2018. (Slides)
- Topology, Geometry, and Data Analysis Seminar. Ohio State University. April 10, 2018.
- Graduate Student Combinatorics Conference. University of Texas at Dallas. April 7, 2018
- Special Session on TGDA. AMS Section Meeting. Ohio State University. March 17, 2018.
- Combinatorics and Probability Seminar. Ohio State University. September 28, 2017.
- Stochastic Topology Seminar. ICERM. October 12, 2016.