Old town mills: Novotny footbridge
Discussion groups will take place in a nearby house, right on the river bank. The Prague Castle is visible from the footbridge or from some of the discussion rooms
The first mention of the Old Town Mills dates from 1347. Mills belonged to the village of Old Town, which was given the privilege to build them on 26 May 1384 by King Wenceslas IV. Footbridge had to be build alongside the mills to make them accessible. The Mills stood between Old town and New Town, which divided them later on to German mills and Czech mills. In 1885 the footbridge received a name based on the resolution of the city council, which granted the footbridge to the miller Karel Novotný (1827-1900), at whose expense the footbridge was renovated. The famous old Prague burgher and master miller was responsible for the construction of iron bridges along the southern facade of the building. The group of Old Town mills with its landmark Water Tower is an architecturally interesting ensemble of houses, forming an integral part of the panorama of Prague Castle and the Charles Bridge. The buildings are located in the center of Prague heritage reserve.
All the mills of Prague were many times destroyed during floods and fires, so they were also reconstructed. On the shore there were firmly established craft businesses that needed to operate at the river, in addition to the mills, smellters, dye baths, breweries and finally working here in winter icemenMost suffered in 1648 during the siege of Prague by the Swedish troops, heavy artillery located at Hradcany hill had its destination at it's fingertips. Similar situation is repeated for the revolutionary events of 1848. The corner four-storey house was rebuilt after a fire In 1848 into the public baths, Karlovy spa.
The mills still worked in the first half of the 20th century. The buildings were given to the Czechoslovak Scientific and Technical Society in the second half of the 20th century.