Group of Diffusion-Microstructure-Properties
Dr. Aloke Paul, Professor ( Biography)
Dept. of Materials Engineering,
Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru, India 560012
Email: aloke[at]iisc.ac.in Ph: (91)-080-2293-3242
We work on different aspects of diffusion-controlled growth of the phases and microstructural evolution in complex multicomponent materials.
Recently, we solved the unsolved by developing new experimental methods in multicomponent diffusion. After nine decades, these remove the stringent mathematical and experimental obstacles associated with the equations established based on the Onsager formalism. These are being used in various multicomponent systems such as Nickel and Cobalt-based superalloys, complex concentrated (High Entropy) alloys and high temperature coatings in jet engines and power sectors. We are also developing the methods of high throughput combinatorial screening for the discovery of new materials with superior physical and mechanical properties.
News and updates
- N. Esakkiraja won the best oral presentation award in NMD-ATM, 2018 for his talk on pseudo-binary and pseudo-ternary methods in multicomponent diffusion.
- N. Esakkiraja won the best oral presentation, Ujjval Bansal and Muni Kumar won the best and runner up prizes for their SEM micrographs at 31st Students symposium, 2018.
- Varun A. Baheti published an article showing equivalence of two well established methods settling the discussion of last five decades. (Link to the article).
- Varun A. Baheti received the James Clerk Maxwell prize for his publication in Philosophical Magazine, 2017. (Link to the article).
- N. Esakkiraja published an article proposing a pseudo ternary method in extension to the previously developed pseudo binary method in our group. (Link or arXiv link to the article).
- Aloke Paul received the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize in Engineering Sciences category, 2017, the highest award conferred by the Government of India. Listed in Asian Scientist 100, 2018 Edition in Materials Science Category.
- Varun Baheti won the Best Presentation Award at 19th International Conference on ELectronic Packaging, Systems and Technology, London (UK), 2017.
- Sangeeta Santra received the prestigious Royal Newtonian International Fellowship for her postdoctoral position at the Oxford University, UK.