University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX. PhD in Structural Geology and Tectonics, 2019: Structural and Rheological Evolution of a high-pressure subduction complex in Syros, Greece: Implications for subduction zone mechanics and seismic style. Advisor: Whitney M. Behr
Boston College, B.S. Geological Sciences with Honors, 2014. Summa Cum Laude.
Selected abstracts, presentations, and publications
Kotowski, A.J. and Behr, W.M., 2019. Length scales and types of heterogeneities along the deep subduction interface: Insights from exhumed rocks on Syros Island, Greece. Geosphere, 15(4), pp.1038-1065.
Behr, W. M., Kotowski, A. J., & Ashley, K. T. (2018). Dehydration-induced rheological heterogeneity and the deep tremor source in warm subduction zones. Geology, 46(5), 475-478
Kotowski, A.J., Behr, W.M., Ashley, K.T., Stockli, D., Soukis, K. (2019) Subduction shear zone morphology and exhumation styles: Insights from peak Pressure-Temperature conditions and timing of subduction in the Cycladic Blueschist Unit (Syros, Greece). Presented at EGU 2019, Vienna, Austria. 7-12 April. Oral.
Kotowski, A.J., Bos Orent, E., Cloos, M., and the Oman Drilling Project Phase I Science Party. (2018) Preliminary petrologic and microstructural characterization of a metamorphic section beneath the Samail Ophiolite: Results from the Oman Drilling Project Hole BT1B. Presented at AGU 2018, Washington, D.C. 10-14 Dec. Poster.
Kotowski, A.J., Behr, W.M., Ashley, K.T., Mixon, E., Stockli, D., Bodnar, B. (2018) Subduction shear zone morphology and exhumation styles: Insights from peak Pressure-Temperature conditions of exhumed rocks on Syros Island, Greece. Presented at Goldschmidt 2018, Boston, MA. 12-17 Aug. Oral.
Kotowski, A.J., Behr, W.M., Lavier, L., Tong, X., (2017) Length scales and styles of heterogeneity along the deep subduction interface: Insights from an exhumed subduction complex. Abstract T12B-06. Presented at the 2017 Fall Meeting, AGU, New Orleans, LA. 11-15 Dec. Oral.
Kotowski, A.J., Behr, W.M., Ashley, K.T., Stockli, D. (2016) Metamorphic heterogeneity and transient rheology of the deep subduction interface: Insights from Syros, Greece. Abstract T11F-07. Presented at 2016 Fall Meeting, AGU, San Francisco, Calif., 12-16 Dec. Oral.
Kotowski, A.J., Wright, V.D., Soltis, N., Ellins, K. (2018) Engaging high school students from underrepresented minorities in the geosciences through graduate student-led, challenge-based learning Abstract 448035. Presented at 2018 Fall Meeting, AGU, Washington, D.C., 10-14 Dec. Oral.
Thomas, D., Ellins, K., Campos, D., George, S., Goldfarb, E., Kotowski, A.J., McCall, L., Wright, V.D. (2018) Student exploration of geoscience careers through challenge-based field learning in GeoFORCE and StemFORCE 12th grade Summer Academies. Abstract #323939. Presented at 2018 GSA, Indianapolis, IN, 4-7 Nov.
Ellins, K., Thomas, D., Campos, D., George, S., Goldfarb, E., Kotowski, A.J., McCall, L., Soltis, N., Stocks, E., Wright, V.D. (2018) Using the Star Legacy Cycle to promote student-centered field learning in GeoFORCE and StemFORCE 12th grade Summer Academies. Abstract #323816. Presented at 2018 GSA, Indianapolis, IN, 4-7 Nov.
Berry, M., Desmond Wright, V., Ellins, K. K., Jackson Browder, M.G., Castillo, R., Kotowski, A.J., Libarkin, J.C., Lu, J., Mareida, N., Butler, N. (2017) Transitioning from Faculty-Led Lecture to Student-Centered Field Learning Facilitated by Near-Peer Mentors: Preliminary Findings from the GeoFORCE/STEMFORCE Program. Abstract ED23B-0298. Presented at the 2017 Fall Meeting, AGU, New Orleans, LA. 11-15 Dec.
Honors, Awards and External Funding
- 1st Place - Jackson School of Geosciences Annual Petrography Contest, May 2018
- 1st Place - Jackson School of Geosciences Annual Research Symposium, Late Career PhD Category, February 2018
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellow, Tectonics, 2016-present.
- Geological Society of America Graduate Student Research Grant: Rheological and high-resolution thermobarometric evolution during subduction of high-pressure rocks from Syros, Greece. Amount requested: $2500, Amount granted: $2500.
- Jackson School of Geosciences SEED Grant: The timing, nature, and fluid history of retrograde metamorphism on Syros and Tinos, Greece as a window into exhumation mechanisms of high-pressure terranes. (J.D. Barnes, W.M. Behr, M. Cisneros, A.J. Kotowski)
- Muehlberger Graduate Research Fellow in Structure & Tectonics, 2016
- International Exchange Student Scholarship, Monash University, 2013
- Four-time Boston College Thomas A. Rosse Endowed Scholar (2010-2014)
For my full CV, please email me at email@example.com