PhD Candidate, the University of Texas at Austin
PhD, the University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, USA, Aug. 2014 - Present
- GPA: 4.0/4.0
- Courses: Analog IC design, RFIC Design, Nano‐Photonics, Electromagnetic Field Theory, Computational Electromagnetics, Advanced Electrodynamics, Metamaterials - (Auditiing: RF and Microwave Engineering, Laser and Optical Engineering).
M.S., Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt, Dec. 2012 - March 2014
- GPA: 4.0/4.0
- Courses: CMOS Data Converters, Microwave Circuits and Components, High‐Power Microwave Sources, Advanced Electromagnetics, Computational Electromagnetics, Computers and Numerical Analysis, Optical Fiber Systems.
B.S., Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt, Sept. 2006 - July 2011
- GPA: 92.6/100 (top 1% of my class).
Graduate Research Assistant, the University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, USA, Aug. 2014 - Present
- Worked on magnetless circulators using discrete, CMOS, and MEMS technologies.
- Worked on active microwave cloaking.
Graduate Research Assistant, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt, Dec. 2012 - Aug. 2014
- Worked on metamaterials and CRLH waveguides.
- Worked on computational EM (MoM, FDTD, FEM).
Undergraduate Research Assistant, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt, Sept. 2010 - July 2011
- Worked on pressure sensing using CMOS integrated circuits for non-invasive biomedical applications.
Teaching Assistant, the University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, USA, Aug. 2014 - May 2015
- Electromagnetic Engineering EE325 (Fall 2014, Spring 2015).
Assistant Lecturer, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt, Feb. 2014 - Aug. 2014
- RF and Microwave Engineering Laboratory (Spring 2014).
- Senior project mentor (Summer 2014).
Teaching Assistant, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt, Feb. 2013 - Jan. 2014
- RF and Microwave Engineering Laboratory (Spring 2013, Fall 2013).
- Electromagnetic Engineering I (Spring 2013).
- Circuit Analysis II (Fall 2013).
Interim Engineering Intern, Qualcomm Inc., Boxborough, MA, USA, May 2018 - Aug. 2018
- Worked on sub-6GHz RF systems and chips.
Part-time Consultant, Eureka Aerospace Inc., Pasadena, CA, USA, Dec. 2016 - Aug. 2017
- Worked on antennas and high-power microwave sources.
Research Scientist, Intel Labs, Intel Corp., Hillsboro, OR, USA, June 2015 - Aug. 2015
- Worked on magnetless circulators.
- Worked with the office of technology commercialization (OTC) at UT-Austin to commercialize my PhD research on magnetless circulators through the startup company Silicon Audio/RF Circulator LLC, Austin, TX, USA.
- Assisted in Silicon Audio/RF Circulator LLC’s fundraising efforts which successfully attracted an investment from Lockheed Martin Corporate.
- Have been leading the technical efforts at Silicon Audio/RF Circulator LLC since 2015.
Proposal Preparation Experience
Microelectromechanical Resonant Circulator (MIRC), 2017 - 2019
- Amount: $2.7M
- Funding Agency: DARPA.
- PIs: Matteo Rinaldi (NEU) and Andrea Alu (UT-Austin).
High‐Performance Parametric RF Integrated Non‐Reciprocal Circulators (HIPERION), 2017 - 2019
- Amount: $1.8M
- Funding Agency: DARPA.
- PIs: Harish Krishnaswamy (Columbia) and Andrea Alu (UT-Austin).
- Douglas Wilson Fellowship Award in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the University of Texas at Austin (UT18).
- IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society Graduate Fellowship Award (MTTS18).
- First Place Award in the Student Design Contest on Magnetless Parametric Circulators at the IEEE International Microwave Symposium (IMS17).
- Graduate Dean’s Fellowship Award from the University of Texas at Austin (UT17).
- Qualcomm Innovation Fellowship Award (QInF16).
- IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Doctoral Research Award (APS16).
- First Place Award in the Texas Instruments Outstanding Student Designer Contest in the EE 338L/382M Analog IC Class at the University of Texas at Austin (UT14).
- Provost PhD Fellowship Award from the University of California at Irvine for being selected among the top 5% of admitted graduate students in all disciplines (UCI14, respectfully declined).
- Graduate Fellowship Award in Electronics and Electrical Communications Engineering from Cairo University for being among the top 1% of my class (EG12).
- Undergraduate Excellence Award from the Egyptian Ministry of Higher Education (EG06-11).
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=aOIitp0AAAAJ&hl=en
- A. Alù, D. L. Sounas, and A. Kord, “Magnetless Non-Reciprocal Devices Using Modulated Filters,” patent application filed - IP is licensed to the start-up company Silicon Audio/RF Circulator LLC, Austin, TX, USA.
- A. Kord, D. L. Sounas, and A. Alù, “Magnetless Circulators Based on Spatiotemporal Modulation of Bandstop Filters in a Delta Topology,” IEEE TMTT, 2018.
- A. Kord, D. L. Sounas, and A. Alù, “Pseudo‐Linear Time‐Invariant Magnetless Circulators Based on Differential Spatiotemporal Modulation of Resonant Junctions,” IEEE TMTT, 2018.
- A. Kord, D. L. Sounas, Z. Xiao, and A. Alù, “Broadband Cyclic-Symmetric Magnetless Circulators and Theoretical Bounds on their Bandwidth,” IEEE TMTT, 2018.
- A. Kord, D. L. Sounas, and A. Alù, “Achieving Full-Duplex Communication: Magnetless Parametric Circulators for Full‐Duplex Communication Systems,” IEEE Microw. Mag., 2018.
- A. Kord, D. L. Sounas, and A. Alù, “Active Microwave Cloaking Using Parity-Time-Symmetric Satellites,” Phys. Rev. Applied, 2018.
Invited TALks and technical demos
- Invited talk by Analog Devices Inc. in Cairo, EG (Dec. 2nd, 2018).
- Invited talk by Huawei Corp. at the first RFIC Subsystem in Next Generation Wireless Technology Workshop hosted by the Futurewei IC Lab and the Wireless Lab in Philadelphia, PA, USA (June 13th, 2018).
- Invited talk by the IEEE Solid‐State Circuits Society (SSCS) at the Department of Electrical Engineering at Southern Methodist University (SMU) in Dallas, TX, USA (April 10th, 2017).
- Interactive technical demo at the 2015 South by Southwest (SXSW) in Austin, TX, USA (March 24th, 2015).
- Journals: IEEE Microwave Magazine, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, IEEE Microwaves and Wireless Components Letters.
- Conferences: IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (2016, 2017, 2018), IEEE International Student Conference on Engineering in Medicine and Biology (2013).
- IC Design Tools: Cadence Virtuoso (schematic and layout), Cadence Spectre(RF), Mentor Graphics Calibre, Keysight ADS (schematic and layout), Keysight ADS HB/Momentum Cosim.
- PCB Design Tools: Keysight ADS, Cadence OrCAD, NI Ultiboard.
- EM Simulators: CST Microwave Studio, Keysight ADS Momentum, Keysight EMPro, Ansoft HFSS.
- Programming Languages: Matlab, C/C++, VHDL, Assembly, Mathematica.
- Graphic Design Tools: Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Office, Google Sketchup.
- Experience with setting up and administrating new RF labs at UT-Austin and CUNY ASRC.
- Hands‐on experience with Keysight, Rohde&Schwarz, and Anritsu sub-40GHz RF equipment including vector network analyzers, vector signal analyzers, vector signal generators, oscilloscopes, noise sources, power meters, and power supplies.
- SCPI programming.