sustainable management of natural resources
- The optimal harvesting problem under price uncertainty: the risk averse case. A. Piazza & B. Pagnoncelli. Annals of Operations Research, 258(2) 479-502 (2017). [PDF]
- Deforestation and optimal management. A. Piazza & S. Roy. Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, 53, 15-27 (2015). [PDF]
- The stochastic Mitra-Wan forestry model: risk neutral and risk averse cases. A. Piazza & B. Pagnoncelli. Journal of Economics, 115, 175-194 (2015). [PDF]
- The optimal harvesting problem under price uncertainty. A. Piazza & B. Pagnoncelli. Annals of Operations Research, 217(1) 425-445 (2014). [PDF]
- On the Mitra-Wan Forestry Model: A Unified Analysis. M. Ali Khan & A. Piazza. Journal of Economic Theory, 147(1) 230-260 (2012). [PDF]
- The Economics of Forestry and a Set-Valued Turnpike of the Classical Type. M. Ali Khan & A. Piazza. Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods & Applications, 74(1), 171-181 (2011). [PDF]
- The Concavity Assumption on Felicities and Asymptotic Dynamics in the RSS model. M. Ali Khan & A. Piazza. Set Valued and Variational Analysis, 19(1), 135-156 (2011). [PDF]
- An Overview of Turnpike Theory: Towards the Discounted Deterministic Case. M. Ali Khan & A. Piazza. Advances on Mathematical Economics, 14, 39-67 (2011). [PDF]
- Classical Turnpike Theory and the Economics of Forestry. M. Ali Khan & A. Piazza. Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 79(3) 194-210, (2011). [PDF]
- Optimal Cyclicity and Chaos in the 2-Sector RSS Model: An Anything-Goes Construction. M. Ali Khan & A. Piazza, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 80(3) 397-417, (2011). [PDF]
- On Uniform Convergence of Undiscounted Optimal Programs in the Mitra-Wan Forestry model: The Strictly Concave Case. M. Ali Khan & A. Piazza. International Journal of Economic Theory, 6, 57-76 (2010). [PDF]
- About optimal harvesting policies for a multiple species forest without discounting. A. Piazza. Journal of Economics, 100(3), 217-233 (2010). [PDF]
- On the Non-existence of Optimal Programs in the Robinson-Solow-Srinivasan (RSS) Model. M. Ali Khan & A. Piazza. Economic Letters, 109, 94-98 (2010). [PDF]
- The optimal harvesting problem with a land market: a characterization of the asymptotic convergence A. Piazza. Economic Theory, 40, Issue 1, 113-138 (2009) [PDF]
- Asymptotic convergence of optimal harvesting policies for a multiple species forest. R. Cominetti & A. Piazza. Mathematics of Operations Research, 34, Issue 3, 576-593 (2009). [PDF]
- Optimal control of renewable resources with alternative use. A. Piazza & A. Rapaport. Mathematical and Computer Modelling, 50, Issues 1-2, 260-272 (2009) [PDF]
- Turnpike theory: a current perspective. M.Ali Khan & A. Piazza. Entry for The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics. Online Edition. Eds. Steven N. Durlauf and Lawrence E. Blume. Palgrave Macmillan, 2012. doi:10.1057/9780230226203.3878 [PDF]
Mathematical models for the sustainable management of natural renewable resources. [PDF]
My Ph.D. was jointly co-guided by Roberto Cominetti (at that time at Universidad de Chile) and Pierre Cartigny (Universite de Montpellier II). It concerned the optimal management of multiple species forests when future benefits are discounted. I proved the existence and uniqueness of an homogeneous state invariant under the optimal policy, the so-called sustainable state. I discussed the conditions under which an optimal trajectory converges in the long run towards this state or towards an optimal periodic cycle.
Recent and future talks in conferences
- DGS V- Jolate XVIII. May 22-26, 2017. Mexico, D.F., Mexico.
- Optimization and Equilibrium Workshop. April 24-25, 2017. Concepción, Chile.
- II ENIM. November 9-11, 2016. Valparaíso, Chile.
- 16th SAET Conference on Current Trends in Economics. July 6 - 9, 2016. IMPA, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Encuentro Anual SECHI. September 1-2, 2016, Viña del Mar, Chile.
- 5to Coloquio Uruguayo de Matemáticas. December 21-23, 2015. Montevideo, Uruguay.
- Encuentro Anual SECHI, September 24-25, 2015. Talca, Chile.
- Escuela de Control y Optimizacion. October, 21 - November 1, 2013, Quito, Ecuador.
- Special session Optimization: Theory, Methods and Applications, Mathematical Congress of the Americas. August, 5-9, 2013, Guanajuato, Mexico.
- 21st Symposium on Mathematical Programming. August 2012, Berlin, Germany.
- 3er Coloquio Uruguayo de Matematica. December, 20-22, 2011, Montevideo, Uruguay.
- LXXX Encuentro Anual de la SOMACHI. November, 3-5, 2011, Los Andes, Chile.
- Jornadas de Matemática de la Zona Sur. April 27-29, 2011, Pucón, Chile.
- ICCOPT- Winter School. Invited plenary speaker, July 24 - 25, 2010, Santiago, Chile.
- ICCOPT. July 26 - 29, 2010, Santiago, Chile.
- CIMPA-UNESCO-URUGUAY research School. March 14 - 20, 2010, Solis, Uruguay.
- Department of Economics, Southern Methodist University , Dallas, US (2017, 2016, 2014, 2013, 2012).
- Department of Economics, Rice University, Houston, US (2017, 2016, 2015)
- Department of Economics, Johns Hopkins University. May 2013, Baltimore, US.
- RGEA, Universidad de Vigo. February 2010, Vigo, Espana.
- UMR MISTEA, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique (INRA). February 2010, Montpellier, France.
- King Abdullah University of Science and Technology. January 2010, Saudi Arabia.
- Department of Economics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. April-May 2009, Urbana-Champaign, IL, U.S.
- Department of Economics, Johns Hopkins University. May-June 2008, Baltimore, MD, U.S.
- Coloquio del Departamento de Ingeniería Matemática, Universidad de Concepción. November 30, 2016. Concepción, Chile.
- Colegio Madrigal, Kindergarten . August 24, 2016. Santiago, Chile.
- Viernes de Cultura + Ciencia, Museo Fonck. April 17 2015, Viña del Mar, Chile.
- Programa Explora, 1000 científicos 1000 aulas. October 2013, Santiago, Chile.
- Ciclo de Charlas de Ciencia y Tecnología, UTFSM, October, 2012, Campus San Joaquin, Santiago, Chile.
Math and gender
I belong to the Colectivo de Mujeres Matemáticas de Chile, a group of women that spontaneously gathered around the discussion about the subtle but persistent barriers that make women underrepresented in STEM professions. We think that it is not only a question of awakening in girls the interest in this area, but also, making it a little more inclusive. The information about our multiple activities is available in our Facebook page and our webpage.