Local Zoning

Special Use, Setbacks and Lot-Coverage... oh and parking-per-square-foot.

These are all terms you'll get to know close and personal..

Before you invest a dime on your Commercial Kitchen go see your local government officials. That would be the township, village or the city. Determine what zoning district your property is located in.

The best locations are within the Commercial or Agriculture districts.


There is a state of Michigan guideline that applies only to agriculture property (farms) that aren't located in within a city of 100,000 people. It is the Generally Accepted Agricultural and Management Practices, or GAAMP's guidelines for farms.

This GAAMP does not apply in municipalities with a population of 100,000 or more in which a zoning ordinance has been enacted to allow for agriculture provided that the ordinance designates existing agricultural operations present prior to the ordinance’s adoption as legal nonconforming uses as identified by the Right to Farm Act for purposes of scale and type of agricultural use. The website for the GAAMPs is http://www.michigan.gov/gaamps.

But the Gaamp's could help you with your farm market and parking lot guidelines

There will be a separate page about GAMPP's later.


Practically speaking, in 90% of people looking to install a Commercial Kitchen, on farm, are going to need at least every an acre of ground. Especially if the public is coming to your Farm and park a their cars. The parking requirements will probably be -- for every square foot of Commercial kitchen and display sales space, -- you'll need equal space for parking ++ the 45' wide driveway.

The township will want a description of your market activities. the size of your property, location of the trash bin, public parking and driveway. All of the buildings will need to be on your site plan to scale.