Put your crop in a can ... a fancy can

These sections are --Under Construction--

558FoodForest.Farm is located in USDA hardiness Zone 6. We have about 1.5 acres in production mostly in fruit and some vegetables.

The shelf life on 80% of our fruit is typically 5 to 7 days. That's a problem!!!

Solution - Turn those cherries, currants and pears into jam, sauce and salsa... But wait, the state and county health officials insist that you have a commercial kitchen to make your salsa.

Salsa is a high risk food. It can only be sold to the public if it is produced in an inspected Commercial kitchen using strict temperature and sanitation controls.

But that's not all, you need to first check with your local government. ZONING is the way cities and townships try to guide their residents on the use of their homes and lands. Typically farms are zoned agriculture, stores and repair shops are Commercial zoning. Houses in residential.

The township is going to want a site plan showing the buildings, the parking, the rain water run-off and more... if you want a permit for that kitchen.

Oh, I didn't mention the county health department. They are going to want to know how much waste water your going to generate a day? Where is the hand washing sink going to be located? where is the bathroom going to be? and so on...


There are Cottage Food guidelines that one could use, as long as your producing low-risk foods. Something with a high sugar content and can sit out unrefrigerated and still be safe to eat. Pies, cakes, jam or jelly. That can be produced in your home kitchen and avoid the bureaucratic red tape and expense. Search - Michigan's Cottage Food Law, PA 113 of 2010



We're going to go through the commercial kitchen thing.... here is how we're doing it.

I'm going to summarize each step as I go through this process. Share my experience and possibly help you too.

-- First it's the water test-- next page