Whether you want the thrill of roller coasters, to visit tropical animals or explore the surrounding countryside, there are many opportunities for all the family.
Drayton Manor - theme park and zoo. Thomas Land.
(12 miles, 30 minutes drive)
Twycross Zoo - Famous for its collection of primates and many endangered species.
(8 miles, 14 minutes drive)
National Exhibition Centre - (also Birmingham international airport/railway station).
(28miles, 30 minutes drive)
Conkers at Moira - Outdoor adventure park and "hands on" science museum. Country and canal walks. Restaurant.
(5miles, 11 minutes drive)
Alton Towers - The number one theme park in the UK.
(28 miles, 45 minutes drive)
Tutbury Castle - Motte and Bailey castle from 1068.
(12.5 miles, 25 minutes drive)
Bosworth Battlefield - 1485 War of the Roses battlefield.
(15.5 miles, 28 minutes drive)
Snowdome at Tamworth - Indoor ski slope. Ice skating.
(9 miles, 19 minutes drive)
(5 miles, 10 minutes drive)
(9 miles, 18 minutes drive)
Walking and Leisure
Rosliston Forestry Centre - Woodland escape, walks, children's play areas and activities. Birds of prey demonstrations. Cycle hire, fishing. The Hub Cafe.
(1.4 miles, 4 minutes drive)
Calke Abbey - Owned by the National Trust. House in a time warp with beautiful natural surroundings.
(11 miles, 24 minutes drive)
Beehive Farm at Rosliston - Farmhouse cafe, walking trails and fishing. Family-friendly petting farm.
(1.2 miles, 3 minutes drive)
Lichfield - Historic cathedral city with market.
(10 miles, 15 minutes drive)
Barton Marina - Canal and lakeside walks with shops, Waterfront pub and restaurants, the Red Carpet Cinema and Cafe Bar.
(4.miles, 8 minutes drive)
Branston Water Park - Canal and lakeside walks.
(6 miles, 10 minutes drive)
National Forest - We are right in the middle of a vast number of woodland walks and interesting activities across a wide area. Horse riding, fishing and cycling.
Ashbourne - gateway to the Peak District.
(30 miles, 35 minutes drive)
National Memorial Arboretum - The UK's Centre for Remembrance at Alrewas.
(5 miles, 8 minutes drive)
- Tennis at Grangewood (4 minutes)
- Catton Hall Events (5 minutes)
- Forest Four Wheel Drive (5 minutes)
- Tank Mania Measham (10 minutes)
- National Brewery Centre at the Coors Visitor Centre in Burton (10 minutes)
- Moira Furnace and Ashby Canal, cycle hire (10 minutes)
- Hick's Lodge National Cycle Centre Moira (10 minutes)
- Bretby Golf Course (10 Minutes)
- Swimming/Squash/Gym at Green Bank Leisure Centre Swadlincote (10 minutes) + other nearby towns
- Brewhouse Arts Theatre in Burton (12 minutes)
- Marstons Brewery, Burton (12 minutes)
- National Forest Adventure Farm and Maize Maze, Tatenhill, Burton (15 minutes)
- National Football Centre, St. George's Park (15 minutes)
- Willesley Golf Course (15 minutes)
- Champneys Health Spa (15 minutes)
- Ashby de la Zouch Historic Town and Castle (15 minutes)
- Foremark Resevoir (15 minutes)
- Wall Roman Site and Museum (20 minutes)
- Smisby Arboretum (20 minutes)
- Snibston Discovery Park, Coalville.Science Technology Transport and Engineering Museum (20 minutes)
- Derby (20 minutes)
- Sudbury Hall and Museum of Childhood National Trust (20 minutes)
- Melbourne Hall and visitor centre (25 minutes)
- Hoar Cross Health Spa (25 minutes)
- Utoxeter Racecourse (25 minutes)
- Donington le Heath 13thC Manor Hse & Museum (30 minutes)
- Cannock Chase (30 minutes)
- Elvaston Castle. Hall and Country Park (30 minutes)
- Birmingham City Centre (35 Minutes)
- Belfry Golf Course (35 minutes)
- Kedleston Hall National Trust (40 minutes)
- National Space Centre, Leicester (40 minutes)
- Richard the Third Exhibition, Leicester (40 minutes)
- The new "Curve" Theatre Leicester (40 minutes)
- Pottery outlet shops throughout Stoke on Trent (45 minutes)
- Carsington Water + watersports (45 minutes)
- Shugborough Hall and grounds (45 minutes)
- Nottingham (45 minutes)
- Crich Tramway Museum (1 hour)
- Chatsworth House (1 hour)
Times are approximate.
For a comprehensive and interactive source of information regarding places to visit and diverse activities within the National Forest, take a look at www.nationalforest.org We have even more suggestions in the file at the cottage and the owner is very happy to help you with ideas and directions to help you make the most of your holiday.