We stand together to promote STEM education, to support each other in all aspects of our careers, and to advocate for a fact-based public dialogue.
We, the Philly Pod of 500 Women Scientists, stand in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement. Black Lives Matter is about focus and not exclusion, and we support inclusion in all forms. In this time of reflection and catalyzing action, we have put together some resources. These resources are a way for you to help, not only with financial support, but to help educate yourself. We are at a pivotal moment, we need to lean in and make sweeping Social Justice change across this nation.
Photo by Gabe Pierce on Unsplash
Plan your vote in pa
This year voting by mail may be compromised. To ensure that your vote is counted, Plan Your Vote!
- Deadline to register to vote is October 19th, 2020
- In Pa, you can vote by mail without an excuse. The deadline to register to vote by mail is OCTOBER 5th!
- Your ballot must be received by November 3rd!
Pennsylvania now offers the option to vote by mail for all registered voters. The 500 Women Scientists Philly Pod is encouraging all of our members and citizens in PA to sign up. When you sign up you can also indicate that you would like to vote by mail in all 2020 elections.
500 Women Scientists Philly Pod COVID-19 Donation list
The purpose of this fund is “to rapidly deploy solutions and resources to help our nonprofit community navigate near- and longer-term impacts of COVID-19 and ensure that critical resources remain available and readily accessible for those in our community who have the greatest needs and are most disproportionately affected.”
Philabundance is adapting our work to ensure individuals and families have access to the food they need while preventing the spread of the virus. Donations allow Philabundance to buy in bulk, stretching your dollar further and buying most-needed items for the communities it serves.
- We are asking for the community’s help in donating supplies now to ensure that our health care workers at the hospital have the personal protective gear needed to protect themselves and others, as they care for patients with COVID-19.
- Currently, we are accepting only the following bulk donations (1 case or more):
- Masks, face protection, paper ear loop or tie in original carton (we are not accepting donations of homemade or cloth masks)
- Gloves, non-latex, all sizes in original carton
- Wipes, bleach, alcohol or hydrogen peroxide
- Bottles of bleach (not splash-less)
- Hand sanitizers
- Head covers, disposable bouffant type with elastic band
- Shoe covers, disposable
- Eye protection including face shields
- Safety goggles
- Gowns, disposable water resistant cover gowns in original carton
- PAPRs (powered air-purifying respirators) and PAPR hoods
- If you would like to donate, several of our hospital locations are taking donations either via mail or drop-off.
- Non-perishable food items in manufacturers retail packaging (aka cans or plastic packaging, food staples with long shelf life)
- Foods with protein like tuna, jerky, peanut butter, tuna/chicken salad kits
- Chapstick, Lotion, Sunscreen
- Individual rolls of toilet paper
- Personal care items in travel size packages
- Feminine Products
- Gloves, scarves, hats are OK in winter months
- Pet Food (canned please)
Local Ways to Help
You can also go to your local school district’s websites or social media pages and find out how you can volunteer to hand out lunches to students and families.
Your local hospital may also be taking donations. Check their websites!
Your local representatives will also post information for their constituents on where they can find resources and may also list things they need. Check their social media or websites for information. If they aren’t doing this, email them and ask them what you can do to help those in need!
Have other ideas to add to this list? Let us know! [joellen.mcbride AT gmail.com]