All meetings take place on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 2:45-5:00pm.
We take a short break at about the halfway point during each meeting, and it has become a small tradition at Ocean Lakes ES for parents to provide a very simple snack for members of the SRC Team. Participation in providing snacks is purely optional and will in no way affect a student’s standing on the team. We’ve been keeping it really simple, usually juice boxes/pouches and chips/cookies. If you wish to participate, please send an email to email@example.com including your name and your student’s name so I can add you to the snack volunteer Google Doc. Please include OLES STEM in the subject line.
If you, or someone you know, would like to volunteer with the SRC Team, please contact one of us. We are looking for adults who can assist students with research, photography, construction (power tools and hand tools), mechanical engineering (design process and fabrication), electronics (soldering and circuitry), and 3D printer fabrication (TinkerCAD and MakerBot Print). Ideally, we need about 5 or 6 adults each week to make this a truly exceptional experience for our team members. The 3:1 ratio works very well, particularly when we’re giving students soldering irons and power tools to work with. All volunteers must complete and return the “Request to Volunteer” form that is available online at http://www.vbschools.com/volunteers/content/pdfs/RequestVolunteerForm.pdf.
Simplified SRC timeline for this school year:
- October – Introduction, training, and begin research. Sign in to Schoology Course for STEM Robotics.
- November & December – Learn and practice soldering, create simple mechanical designs for the 3D printer, and begin work on each team’s e-portfolio.
- January through April – assemble Raspberry Pi 3 holder (attach to chassis), fabricate mechanical parts for pushers/grippers, assemble robots, program Raspberry Pi (control program in Python code), and complete e-portfolios.
- May – Submit e-portfolio for judging, and participate in practice rounds with our robots.
- June, 2020 – Participate in the VBCPS STEM Robotics Challenge at the Virginia Beach Convention Center from about 9:00am until 4:00pm.
Mr. Carl Peake - firstname.lastname@example.org
School Phone – 648-3200 (email is the preferred contact method)