Here is how the Grand Lodge of Virginia wants wording.
- The correct way to display the Lodge name is "Name Lodge No. 123 A.F. & A.M." or all uppercase "NAME LODGE NO. 123"
- Do not use "#" use "No."
- A.F. & A.M. or A.F. and A.M.
- Ancient Free & Accepted Masons or Ancient Free and Accepted Masons.
- Note: the Grand Lodge's A.F. & A.M. is in front of the word Virginia. "Grand Lodge, A.F. & A.M., of Virginia" While the Lodges are at the end, "Blue Lodge No. 123 A.F. & A.M."
Location of the Lodge
Should be the legal 911 address that online maps (GPS) can map. i.e.
123 Main St.
City, Va. 22212
If applicable, give details, i.e. meets in xxx Fire Department, 2nd floor of xxx Church. or cross street.
Stated Communication (lowercase)
- "stated communication" for Lodges having one meeting per month (note the lower case "s" and "c")
- "stated communications" for Lodges having two meetings per month (note the lower case "s" and "c")
- Use "1st", "2nd", "3rd", "4th" for week. do not spell them out, First, Second.
- The day of the week should be spelled out in full and not abbreviated. i.e. Monday, Tuesday.
- Example, stated communication 1st Monday.
- Example, stated communications 1st & 3rd Monday.
- Example, stated communications 1st Mondays & 2nd Wednesday.
- Do not use "meetings" or "meets"
- Do not use First, Second, Third.
- Make note of any known exceptions to stated communication, i.e. December 2nd Monday. If a holiday then the following Monday.
Chartered statement examples
- Charter date should be spelled out, i.e. December 22, 1877
- Three options "Chartered by" "Holden under" or "Under a charter from"
- The Grand Lodge, A.F. & A.M., of Virginia
- The Most Worshipful Grand Lodge, A.F. & A.M., of Virginia
- A.F. & A.M. can be spelled out "Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons" or "Ancient, Free & Accepted Masons"
- The Most Worshipful Grand Lodge Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of the Commonwealth of Virginia
- A.F. & A.M. or A.F. and A.M.
- When listing names, the format for past titles would be John Doe, PGM, PDDGM, or PM, do not use "Worshipful John Doe, PM"
- Trestleboard is one word.
- Fellowcraft is one word.
- The spelling for "Tiler" not
tyler"Chaplain" not Chaplin"Marshal" not Marshall"Steward" not Stewart
- Candidates name can be published, but only after being elected to membership. (revised 2009 see Methodical Digest Sec. 2.108)
- Petitioners name cannot be published. (Must be elected first)
- Rejected, suspensions, etc., shall not be published.
- The names of the Degrees are officially; Entered Apprentice, Fellowcraft, and Master Mason. Not 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. There is no 3rd Degree. it is Degree of Master Mason.
- For faster download times, Trestleboard's or other documents should be converted to HTML, or PDF format, the use of Word Document format is not recommend because the files are larger and require the user to own a copy of Microsoft Office or have a viewer installed. There are also font and printing issues with using Word.
Copyright notice and official website information
- Optionally you might want to include a Copyright notice in small print on the bottom of your pages. i.e.
- Copyright (c) 2000 Lodge Name No. 123 All Rights Reserved. and a sentence stating "This is the official website of Lodge Name No. 123"