Research interests involve homeless populations, exploring social network analysis, measure development, and study design, with a specific focus on the use of social network analysis to explore the relationship between foster care experiences and HIV risk behaviors among homeless former foster youth. Research goals include development of network-based HIV interventions targeting homeless former foster youth.
- Yoshioka-Maxwell, A., Rice, E., (under review). Exploring the impact of network characteristics on behavioral health outcomes among homeless former foster youth. International Journal of Public Health.
- Barman-Adhikari, A., Rice, E., Begun, S., Yoshioka-Maxwell, A., & Portillo, A. P. (Accepted). Sociometric network structure and its association with Methamphetamine use norms among homeless youth. Social Science Research.
- Barman-Adhikari, A., Rice, E., Bender, K. Legnick-Hall, R., & Yoshioka-Maxwell, A. (Accepted). Social networking technology use and engagement in HIV related behaviors among homeless youth. Journal of Health Communication.
- Petering, R., Rhoades, H., & Yoshioka-Maxwell, A. (accepted). Bidirectional Intimate Partner Violence and Drug Use among Homeless Youth. Journal of Interpersonal Violence.
- Yoshioka-Maxwell, A., Rice, E., Rhoades, H., & Winetrobe, H. (2015). Methamphetamine use among homeless former foster youth: The mediating role of social networks. J Alcohol Drug Depend, 3, 197. Doi: 10.4172/23296488.1000197
- Rice, E., & Yoshioka-Maxwell, A. (2015). Social Network Analysis as a Toolkit for the Science of Social Work. Journal of the Society for Social Work Research, 6(3), 369-383. Doi: 2334-2315/2015/0603-0005
- Putnam-Hornstein, E., & Yoshioka-Maxwell, A. (in press). Biogenetic and functional frameworks for the assignment of parentage by the courts: Implications for foster caregivers. Children and Youth Services Review.
- Putnam-Hornstein, E., Fluke, J., Wood, J. Yoshioka-Maxwell, A., & Berger, R. (under review). Risk factors for nonfatal and fatal child abuse: Implications for policy and practice. Child Welfare.
Publications Under Review
- Yoshioka-Maxwell, A., Rice, E. (under review). Exploring the association between foster care experiences and risk variables: A latent class analysis. Journal of Research on Adolescence.
- Rice, E., Yoshioka-Maxwell, A., Rhoades, H., Winetrobe, H., Petering, R., & Barman-Adhikari, A. (under review). Population-level structure over time and marijuana use among homeless youth. Journal of Social Distress and the Homeless.
Academic and Professional Honors
Hamovitch Summer Research Fellowship. May-August 2016.
Hamovitch Summer Research Fellowship. May-August 2015.
Society for Prevention Research Minority Travel Fellowship, 2015.
USC School of Social Work, Qualifying Exam Distinction, 2015.
Doctoral Program 2014 Summer Research Fellowship Award (Hamovitch Research Center/Cluster(s) summer RA award). May-August 2014.
Child Welfare Cluster(s) summer RA award. May-August 2013.
USC School of Social Work Fellowship (full four-year tuition and stipend). 2012
The Lieber Family Graduate Scholarship in Research, California State University, Northridge- 2012
Honorable Mention, Sally Cassanova Pre-Doctoral Program, 2011-2012
Graduate Student Affiliate, Community Health and Wellbeing, CSUN, 2010-2012