One UP Professorial Chair & Faculty Grant Awards
1 JULY 2019 | UPDATE ON AWARD PAYMENTS
At its 1309th meeting held on 22 July 2015, the UP Board of Regents approved the allocation of P100 Million per year for the period January 2016 - December 2018 for approximately 800 professorial chair awards and faculty grant awards to be distributed among academic units across all the Constituent Universities. Named One UP Professorial Chair (PC) Awards and Faculty Grant (FG) Awards, these aim to further provide recognition and incentives to faculty members who demonstrate outstanding performance in two out of three work areas of the faculty: teaching, research or creative work, and public service.
To encourage a higher standard of performance among the faculty, the Board of Regents also approved the continuity of the awards subject to availability of funds in its 1323rd meeting last 16 December 2016. The revised guidelines have also been approved by the Board on its 1340th meeting last 3 December 2018 to cover more faculty. Hence, the 2019-2021 One UP PC & FG Awards are now accepting applications.
Terms & Conditions
- Faculty members are invited to apply for the 2019-2021 One UP Professorial Chair Awards and Faculty Grant Awards (One UP PC & FG Awards) which are intended to further provide recognition and incentives to those who demonstrate outstanding performance in two out of three work areas of the faculty: teaching, research or creative work, and public service.
- Faculty members are asked to indicate targets for self-improvement in the three work areas and how they can contribute to their academic unit, the university and the country in the next three years. This is based on the principle that one’s performance is, first and foremost, inner- or self-driven. The targets will not be considered part of the criteria for the current award which is based on past accomplishments.
- The basis of the One U.P. PC & FG Awards is outstanding performance in two out of the three work areas of the faculty: (1) teaching, (2) research or creative work, and (3) public service. However, teaching is given primary importance no matter which work area combination a faculty applicant is vying for.
- The evaluation criteria and scoring rules are provided here. Points can be earned from a great variety of accomplishments.
- The criteria that contribute to new knowledge have no cap/limit on points.
- Professorial Chair Awards of P10,000/month for 3 years are given to the highest performing full and associate professors.
- Faculty Grant Awards of P8,000/month for 3 years are given to the second tier of performing full, associate and assistant professors. Instructors who have demonstrated exceptional performance may also receive a Faculty Grant Award.
- Amounts stated are subject to disbursement rules stated (see below).
ELIGIBILITY FOR APPLICATION
- Full-time, tenured or non-tenured faculty members are eligible for the 2019-2021 One UP PC & FG Awards for outstanding performance in a field or discipline. Part-time faculty members with plantilla items such as those from the College of Medicine are also eligible.
- Faculty must not have had any conviction for criminal or administrative offenses during the three (3) year evaluation period.
- Faculty awardees of the Scientific Productivity System (SPS), Arts Productivity System (APS), annual UP-funded CU-implemented Centennial Professorial Chairs and Faculty Grants (such as in UP Diliman, UP Los Baños, UP Manila) for outstanding publications, International Publication Awards, and awardees of national and international prizes or competitions, are eligible to apply to the One UP PC & FG Awards as long as they meet the criteria of the One UP Award.
- Faculty who currently hold professorial chairs or faculty grants funded by non-UP donors for less than P10,000/month are eligible for the One U.P. PC & FG Awards as long as they meet the criteria of the One U.P. Award. They will continue to hold and receive funds from the privately funded professorial chair until its term expires, after which they will be transferred to and receive funds from the One U.P. PC & FG Award for the remainder of 2019-2021.
- Faculty who currently hold professorial chairs or faculty grants funded by private donors for P10,000/month or greater are not eligible for the One U.P. PC & FG Awards.
- The award will be terminated if the awardee receives any convictions for criminal or administrative offenses during the three (3) year award period.
- Faculty awardees of One UP Awards may continue to receive entitlements in full if they get awarded SPS, APS, or annual UP-funded Centennial Professorial Chairs for outstanding publications, International Publication Awards, and awards of national and international prizes or competitions during the One UP Award’s disbursement period.
- The Unit Head (Department/Institute/Center Chair) will be responsible in confirming that the faculty awardee complies with all these rules yearly through the submission of the Statement of No Conflict (SNC) to the Accounting and Budget Offices.
- Retiring and expired faculty will cease to receive the One U.P. PC & FG Awards upon their retirement or end of service and will receive the pro-rated amount of the award in their last year of service.
- Retiring faculty who have been extended will continue to receive the One U.P. PC & FG Awards.
- Outstanding Teaching & Research, or
- Outstanding Teaching & Creative Work, or
- Outstanding Teaching & Public Service, or
- Outstanding Research & Public Service, or
- Outstanding Creative Work & Public Service
Below are sample titles of the Award:
Maria P. Santos, PhD
2019-2021 One U.P. Professorial Chair Award in Biology (Invertebrate Zoology)
for Outstanding Teaching and Research in UP Los Baños
Juan A. Dela Cruz, PhD
2019-2021 One U.P. Faculty Grant Award in English Literature (Poetry)
for Outstanding Creative Work and Public Service in UP Diliman