What's Happening at Memorial?
January 23, 2017
On the recommendation of the Union Beach Emergency Management there will be a 1pm dismissal today. No afternoon pre-school. All after school activities including after care are cancelled.
January 5, 2017
Happy New Year Union Beach. I hope all of you enjoyed the holidays and found some time to spend with family and friends. I write to you today with an update on a variety of activities currently underway in the District.
· The Superintendent/Foundation Scholarship award will grant $500 each to one graduating boy and girl to be invested during high school for college tuition!
· Cool to be in School news: In December, 186 kids did not miss a day at Memorial and, since September, 53 students have attended every single day!!!
· The District was awarded a $7500 grant from the Dreams R Us Foundation to be applied towards a play area inside the Memorial courtyard for special needs students.
· The 2016-17 Teacher of the Year is Mrs. Debbie Byrne.
· With announced priorities in-place, there has been a significant decrease in both lateness and incomplete homework assignments since September.
· In late January, phase II of the Strategic Plan will be rolled out, taking the pulse of the community and its impression of the school district.
· Memorial School will be conducting its annual spelling bee on January 26th.
· Each month citizens and students-of-the-month enjoy a pizza with Mrs. Savicky.
· Memorial continues its anti-bullying projects and hopes to be identified as a “No Place for Hate” school.
· “Holiday elves” from the Colts Neck High School Peer Leadership group spent the day with our preschool students. The peer group consists of 50 students who individually select presents for each preschooler.
· PARCC testing will commence on April 24.
· Our first STEM week will take place in February where grades 4-8 will be creating projects related to Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.
· From the Facilities Department:
o A new sound system was installed in the gymnasium.
o A fitness room has been installed in the middle school wing.
o Our new floor care system has both reduced bacteria and instilled a brilliant shine throughout the building.
· From the sports department:
o Both basketball teams won their opening game of the season defeating Oak Hill.
o The wrestling team will host Memorial School's first ever home match (on a brand new mat!!) on January 19 vs Keansburg.
o The cheer squad has been working hard on multiple halftime routines.
Thank you for being a part of the Union Beach School District and best wishes for a prosperous and healthy New Year!
Scott Ridley, Ed.D
Superintendent of Schools
MEMORIAL SCHOOL SCHOLARSHIP ANNOUNCEMENT
On November 30, 2016, the Union Beach Memorial School Foundation agreed to support Superintendent of Schools Dr. Scott Ridley’s request to create a $1000 scholarship that would award $500 each to a graduating 8th grade boy and girl—to be invested over the next four years and applied to their college tuition after they graduate high school. As per the Union Beach Mission Statement, “Learning is a life-long process” and this award will provide a literal opportunity for students to transfer that philosophy from words into action!
See below for details.