New Student Employee Checklist

Welcome to Student Life!

Congratulations on your employment with us!

Please read & complete the following steps in a timely manner. Failure to complete these steps may delay and impact your employment.

Questions? Ask your supervisor or email or

First Day:

Work Shirts/Employee Gear (applicable to Student Unions & Activities employees only)

Pick up your work shirts/student gear in the SUA Administration Office, Room 500 Coffman Union

I-9 Document

The Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 is an U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services form. It is used to verify an employee's identity and to establish that the worker is eligible to accept employment in the United States. Failure to complete the I-9 document will delay the hiring process and may impact your employment.

New employees at the University of Minnesota are required to complete the I-9 form on or before the first day of work for pay. The employee must take the following steps to fulfill this requirement:

        • Complete Section 1 of the I-9 online
        • Provide original documentation proving identity and authorization to work in the United States to the employer. (Click here for list of acceptable documents)

Foreign National Students (F1/J1 visas )

        • Foreign National employees at the Twin Cities campus must process their I-9’s directly with Payroll Services. Call the OHR Contact Center at 612-624-8647 to schedule an appointment.
        • No U.S. Social Security Number? Contact SUA Payroll Manager, Mary Daubney,, to start the process.
        • Note: Foreign national students can not work more than 20 hours per week during the academic year. Can work up to 40 hours in summer and academic breaks, see the F-1 and J- Visa Maximum Hours Per Week Payroll Schedule for additional details.

Completing the I-9 Form:


Go to to begin the I-9 Verification online form process.

Employer Code: Enter 13636 (fill in any required fields).

Start Date: Check hire letter for date or ask your supervisor.

Location: Select “STUDENT AFFAIRS” from the drop down menu. *VERY IMPORTANT* This is the only way HR Staff will be able to see your form! Selecting the wrong location, will require you to re-do the form.

For assistance follow the Completing the I-9 Form Job Aid (pdf) to help you through the process.


After starting the I-9 online form (section 1), you MUST set up an I-9 appointment with our HR staff by emailing the office at to complete section 2 of the form.

Appointments are done at Coffman Memorial Union, Rm 500, Monday through Friday between 9:00am- 3:30pm.

For that appointment you need to bring original valid documentation. Usually, the following items are brought in:

        • Original Birth Certificate AND State/Government Issued Picture I.D (Please note: U Card will be accepted as Picture ID)
        • Social Security Card AND State/Government Issued Picture I.D. (Please note: U Card will be accepted as Picture ID)
        • U.S. Passport (Non-Expired)

*If the above items do not apply to you, please see the list of other acceptable documents.

Note: Copies of documents will NOT be accepted. They must be the original or a certified copy

First Week:

Complete these forms:

All student employees are required to sign the University of Minnesota's Office of Student Affairs (OSA) Confidentiality Agreement.

All employees at Student Unions & Activities' retail and gallery locations are required to sign an Employee Non-Disclosure Form/Payment Card Account form.

For more information see Forms & Resources

Emergency Contact in MyU

Check your emergency contacts and HOME address under the "My Info" tab in MyU and sign up for emergency notifications using the SAFE-U system.

Information Security Awareness Training

The University Information Security Awareness Training, a required 20 to 30-minute online course can be found in the Training Hub. Because it's likely that you will come in contact with private data in your work, it's important that you complete this training as soon as possible. Check with your supervisor if you have questions about this training requirement.


Student Unions & Activities' employees will be assigned orientation through Canvas within 1-2 weeks of starting their job along with an in-person meeting session. Orientation is MANDATORY and is paid time.

All other departments will provide their own training and orientation. Check with your supervisor for details regarding job duties and expectations.

Work Study is a state and federally funded program that supports part-time employment for undergraduate and graduate students who need the earnings to help meet the costs of attending college.

Work-study funding will provide 70% reimbursement of a student’s hourly pay rate. Departmental funds provide the other 30%. Work dates are determined by the work-study award period and registration status of the student.

The Work Study application and award process is part of a financial aid package. If you applied for financial aid, you should have received a Financial Aid Award Notice (FAAN) indicating if you were awarded financial aid. You must reply to the eFAAN and accept the Work Study award to be eligible for Work Study employment.

Answers to other questions about applying for Work Study can be found on the Financial Aid Web site.