Engineering Design Challenge
By building a complicated contraption that does a simple task, you will learn a lot about science! Work with teammates from your area. Using found or bought materials, make a multi-step machine that sends balls rolling, wheels turning, balloons popping or water dripping. The trick? It has to do the same thing every time.
Registration coming soon.
Level 1: Grades 3-8
- Level 1 teams focus on mechanical engineering. Their machines must have steps that demonstrate the eight simple machines.
Level 2: Grades 9-12
- Level 2 teams must understand mechanical steps, plus fluid, electrical and chemical forces that make a machine do work.
- Teams begin forming in October.
- The first competition will be in March 2019 in Mankato.
- The main challenge event will be in summer 2019. You may also compete at your county fair.
- Details will be announced in October 2019.
- Coaches will receive training and support from day one.
2018 challenge: Plant a seed and water it
Engineering Design Challenge 2018 was a big success!
In 2018, we hosted our first-ever statewide challenge at two levels. It had conference judging, info about STEM careers, hands-on learning sessions and guest speakers.
The 2019 challenge will be announced soon.