MSECE Plan A
EE Major Field Coursework Requirement = 14
• Major coursework must be taken A-F.
• Major course work must be numbered EE 4XXX (subject to the 4XXX Rule), EE 5XXX or EE 8XXX, regular coursework.
• Can include up to 2 credits from the following list:
EE 8190 Electronics Seminar
EE 8210 System Theory Seminar
EE 8230 Control Theory Seminar
EE 8360 Computer Systems Seminar
EE 8370 Computer-Aided Design Seminar
EE 8500 Communications Seminar
EE 8610 Electronics, Fields, and Photonics Seminar
EE 8660 Magnetics Seminar
EE 8925 Ethics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
EE 8940 Special Investigations
Other or Minor Coursework Requirement = 6
• All coursework must be taken A-F.
• No seminars or special investigation apply toward meeting the the 6 credit requirement.
• To designate a minor, please talk with the minor department to learn their requirements.
MSEE Thesis Credit Requirement (EE 8777) = 10
• Plan A thesis credits can be registered for at any time during a master’s student’s degree program.
Total Credits for the Degree = 30
4XXX Coursework Rule
• A maximum of nine 4000-level course credits may be used to satisfy master’s degree requirements. Of these, only six credits may be EE 4000-level (regular coursework, no seminars, projects, directed study courses).
• Do not list more than nine credits of 4000-level coursework on your degree plan. Partial credits from a course are not accepted.
• Non-EE 4XXX coursework will only be accepted from the following list: Non-EE 4000 Level Courses Acceptable for Graduate Credit (effective June 2014)
Students Pursuing Two Master’s Degrees
• A maximum of eight credits can be in common between two University master’s level degrees.
Transfer Credits toward the MSEE Degree
Courses taken at another University, which were taken for graduate credit outside of an undergraduate degree program, taught by faculty authorized to teach graduate courses, may be petitioned to be approved for transfer. Credits must be appropriate to the degree and and fulfill a degree requirement.
For a master’s Plan A Thesis degree, at least 12 University graduate course credits and 10 University master’s thesis credits (xxxx-8777) must be taken at the University of Minnesota.
Grade/numeric point average formula
Graduate courses on the Twin Cities campus have two main grading basis: A-F or S/N.
Grade point values:
- A = 4.000,
- A- = 3.667
- B+ = 3.333,
- B = 3.000
- B- = 2.667
- C+ = 2.333
- C = 2.000
- C- = 1.667
- D+ = 1.333
- D = 1.000
- F = 0.000
Performance Standards and Progress
• Students are required to register every fall and spring term from the time of matriculation to degree conferral.
• Minimum Graduate Degree Plan GPA for graduation is 3.0.
• Coursework must be taken A-F unless only offered S-N.
• Lowest grade accepted on the degree program form is 2.0 (grade C).
• Students whose GPA falls below 3.0 will have a registration hold placed on their account preventing further registration. To have the hold removed they will need to meet with the Director of Graduate Studies.
• With justification Grad 999 can be used once to satisfy fall/spring term registration requirements. Submit your request to Linda Jagerson in 3-166 Keller Hall.
• Students admitted to our program before Spring 2013 must complete their MSEE degree within 7 years of the earliest coursework listed on the degree program form.
• Students entering the program after January 2013, must complete their degree within five calendar years after initial enrollment in the Graduate School.
• Students unable to complete the degree within the time limits described may petition the department and the college for one extension up to one year. Students must obtain the approval of their advisor(s) and the Director of Graduate studies and submit a petition for an a time extension at least six months prior to the end of the time limit. See Master's Degree: Performance Standards and Progress.