Make an 8x8x8 lattice of neopixels
Because each one is addressable, we should be able to create some cool patterns with it. Specifically, one pattern we'll be trying to visualize is an FFT in 3D by making one axis show the octaves, one axis show the frequencies within the octave and making the vertical axis the amplitude of that frequency.
- 512 through-hole Neopixel LEDs
- Wire (16 AWG)
- Shrink-wrap tubing (to prevent accident shorts)
- 5V 30A Power supply
- Wooden base
Hardware-Software Interface Information
Through-hole Neopixel LEDs
- Uses the FastLED library
- We tested each LED individually with a simple program that flashed red, green, blue and white. We began testing multiple rows of LEDs on 4/11. A problem we encountered was that when more than 32 LEDs were connected together, the entire connected set of LEDs would flash (and not necessarily the correct colors, sometimes all the LEDs would light up red or green or blue).
* Flickering LEDs. Solved using a capacitor.
* Signal degradation. Solved using multiple data input wires along with the FastLED library
* Hot wires. Turns out connecting to the power supply with the wires we had limited the current and caused some of the thinner connections to smoke. So we switched to a different power supply with super thick wires.
* Random flashes of color sometimes when using projection sketch. Still uncertain as the the cause.