August 21, 2018
All are invited to join us for the annual opening welcome back breakfast and celebration. Breakfast will be available beginning at 7:45 a.m. in the cafeteria.
At 8:30 a.m. we will gather in the auditorium for opening remarks, introductions of new staff members, and celebrations.
The focus of our work together on August 21 is trauma-transformed practice. We are excited to welcome Dave Melnick, licensed clinical social worker and Director of Outpatient Services at NFI Vermont, back to Washington Central. We will all listen to Dave's remarks from 10:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. in the auditorium. Then, in the afternoon, teachers and paraeducators will have an opportunity to deepen their learning with Dave and with colleagues about trauma-transformed work.
The learning targets for August 21 include:
- Increase our knowledge about the effects of traumatic stress on students, families, school staff, and communities.
- Improve wellness for students and our workforce.
- Increase knowledge about and implementation of trauma-transformed practices, including schoolwide strategies.
The schedule is:
- 7:45-8:30 Welcome Back Breakfast
- 8:30-10:15 Opening Remarks, Introductions, and Celebrations
- 10:30-12:00 Dave Melnick's Keynote on Resilience and Hope
- 12:00-1:00 Lunch
- 1:00-2:00 Small Group Session 1 or Dave's Remarks
- 2:00-2:15 Break
- 2:15-3:15 Small Group Session 2 or Dave's Remarks
- 3:15 Feedback Form and Adjournment
Please note: Dave requests that everyone bring some paper and a writing utensil to his keynote.
You are welcome to stay or leave the campus during the lunch break. If you leave, please be back and ready for a prompt start at 1:00 p.m. Grab and go items will be available for purchase in the U-32 cafeteria. Grab and go items include: Chicken Caesar salad, apple jack salad, Asian veggie salad with tofu, turkey bacon avocado wraps and Buffalo chicken wraps. You may also purchase beverages, fruit, and snacks.
For more details about the afternoon, and to see the small group session choices, please see this document.
Teachers, paraeducators, and administrators, please complete this brief feedback form at the end of the day.
Also, the elementary teacher association and ESP will host sign ups in the atrium during lunch. They will also provide cake. At 3:15 p.m. the elementary association will be meeting in the auditorium.
For you reference, here is a map of U-32.