Race and Equity Committee
Ramadan or Ramadhan is approaching soon, around May 5th, and you may have students who will be fasting. Ramadan is a time for spiritual purification achieved through fasting, self-sacrifice and prayers. Remember that students will be fasting long hours before sunrise till sunset (no food or water). Ramadan ends around June 4th.
new! Tukwila Educators of Color (TEOC) Page!
On December 5, the Tukwila Educators of Color group had their first meet up. We met and talked about our experiences and how we hope to stay in the profession. We also started to discuss ways that our district could support Educators of Color better so that we can support our students better. If you want more information, please contact Luis Escamilla at email@example.com We encourage any Tukwila educators who identify as an educator of color to join our group. The TEOC page will be updated with TEOC stories and meeting dates/times.
We hope that through our work, we will eliminate racial achievement and opportunity gaps in our school systems that perpetuates and is perpetuated by systemic racism.
- Support each other in building trusting and mutually respectful relationships between staff, students, families, and community members.
- Support all members of our Tukwila School District community to hold each other accountable so that we hold students first and meet students where they are
- Increase the cultural responsiveness and awareness of all staff, scholars, family, and community members
- Ensure that we value the diversity of our staff, students, and community in authentic ways
- Build and sustain the passion necessary to persist in our work
upcoming meeting Dates & LOCATIONS
Please see our flyer below.
- Meetings are held every other Monday, alternating between the district administration office and one of our 5 school buildings.
- 3:30-5:00 PM
- Begin at 3:35 if held at an elementary school
- Upcoming meetings:
- Monday, April 29, 3:30 - 5:00
- Tukwila SD Admin Building - Board Room
- Check the Race and Equity calendar for updates!
Everyone in our community is welcome and encouraged to attend.
One of the key components of the Race and Equity Committee is our student voice. We would not have been able to write our policy without the input and direction of our students. To help facilitate more opportunities for student voice, Race and Equity Clubs have formed at the both the Middle School and High School.
Feel free to email us at any time with any questions or concerns you may have. Or, you can use the form below to contact us.