Property Request Form


Because the Property and Evidence Technician also has other duties within the department, property will be released only by appointment.

  • Property returns – by appointment only on Thursday – 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

  • Vehicle releases – by appointment only Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. On the day of your appointment you will need to provide the current registration or car title (as proof of ownership), insurance if you are planning on driving your vehicle and valid identification.


All property returns are subject to law and case status before release. Photo identification (such as a valid driver's license, passport, military ID) is required for the release of all items. Proof of ownership may also be required. A court disposition or authorization by the prosecuting attorney's office will be required prior to the release of property. After proper documentation has been received and reviewed you will be contacted to schedule an appointment. After receiving documentation from the court, complete the Property Acquisition Form. This form can be located at, or a paper copy can be received and submitted at the front desk. After your submission is reviewed you will be contacted to schedule an appointment.


Documentation can be acquired by contacting the 21st Judicial District Attorney’s Office.

21st Judicial District Attorney’s Office

110 N. Bay Street

Courthouse Bldg., Rm 204

Amite LA 70422

Phone: (985) 748-7890


Documentation can be emailed to or delivered to the Tangipahoa Sheriff’s Office in Hammond.

Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff's Office

15475 W Club Deluxe Rd,

Hammond, LA 70403

(985) 345-6150


If you are an offender of a crime in which property was seized, you will need a Court order stating the specific property in question can be returned to you. If you want the property to be released to another person, the Court order must name that person. Information regarding obtaining Court orders can be found by contacting the Court of jurisdiction. You may also have an authorized representative make a claim for the property. Your representative must have a notarized letter from you, the owner of the property, identifying the individual whom you are authorizing to act as your representative and identifying the specific property to be claimed.

If you are a victim of a crime and your property was recovered; all aspects of the case must be completed within the Court system before the property will be returned. If the property was seized pursuant to a search warrant, you will need a Court order stating the specific property in question can be returned.


If your firearms were seized through a Protective Order or are evidence of a criminal offense, the following will be needed prior to return:

  • An order from the Court of jurisdiction stating the firearms can be returned to you.

  • If you are not allowed to possess a firearm, the Court order must state to whom the firearm may be released to.

  • Proof of ownership may also be required.

The lawful owner of the firearm must provide valid photo identification, and be subject to a criminal background check before any firearm will be released.


  • You are a convicted felon. (see Louisiana Revised Statute: Section C 14:95.1 Louisiana Laws)

  • You have outstanding arrest warrants

  • You have a misdemeanor or felony domestic violence conviction

  • You are the subject of an Order of Protection

Other facts or circumstances may disqualify you from having a weapon returned to you. If you have any questions, please contact the Property and Evidence department.