Towns County Schools Online Learning Days
Online Learning to Compensate for Days missed Due to Inclement Weather
TOWNS County Schools will recover instructional time lost due to school closures by utilizing online learning using GOOGLE CLASSROOM. We understand and realize that during a weather emergency that there could be sporadic power outages, internet unavailability, etc. That is why our lesson plans have some activities available online and some that your child can complete at home without the use of technology. Upon return to school, students will be given five days to complete any work assigned that may have not been completed.
Prior to school closings, teachers will communicate with parents and students how students can find assignments in GOOGLE CLASSROOM and the mode of communication to use to contact teachers. Additionally, teachers will have digital office hours on the days that school is closed.
WHY ONLINE LEARNING DAYS?
- There are days when inclement weather does not allow us to travel to school.
- We need to provide school time without extending the calendar due to construction plans.
- Online Learning Days provide a way to count the school day without adding a day to the end of the school year.
HOW WILL WE KNOW IT IS AN ONLINE LEARNING DAY?
- Online Learning Days will be announced just like Snow Days were announced in the past. A phone call will be sent out, it will be posted on Facebook, and also on LivingTree.
WHO WILL PARTICIPATE?
- All students in Grade K-12 will complete assignments for the classes they would have attended on a regular school day.
- Teachers will announce Online Learning Day Office Hours through their Google Classroom or Living Tree. Students can email or chat with teachers during this time.
WHERE WILL STUDENTS PARTICIPATE?
- Teachers will utilize Google Classroom to provide online assignments.
- Students can participate anywhere they have internet access.
WHEN ARE ASSIGNMENTS DUE?
- Assignments are due one week from the designated Online Learning Day. If we have an Online Learning Day on a Tuesday, the work will be due the following Tuesday.
HOW MUCH WORK SHOULD WE EXPECT?
- TCES: Each subject should have an assignment that will take no more than 15 minutes to complete. (ELA, Science, Social Studies, Math, One Specials Class) The total time should equal no more than 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- TCMS: Each subject should have an assignment that will take no more than 20 minutes to complete. (ELA, Science, Social Studies, Math, Two Connections Class) The total time should equal no more than 2 hours.
- TCHS: Each subject should have an assignment that will take no more than 30 minutes to complete. (Block 1, Block 2, Block 3, Block 4) The total time should equal no more than 2 hours.
HOW WILL ATTENDANCE BE COUNTED?
- Students who complete at least 70% of the assignments will be counted present for the online learning days.
WHAT IF MY STUDENT DOES NOT HAVE INTERNET ACCESS?
- Please communicate this with your student’s teachers.
- Students have one week to complete assignments from the announced Online Learning Day.
- Computer Labs will be opened after school for students to access Online Learning Day assignments upon returning to school for one week leading up to the due date.
- If utilizing the after school computer lab sessions is not feasible, parents can request a print copy of the assignment or alternate assignment by contacting the teacher.