Goal: To educate the public about responsible pet ownership, while finding loving homes for as many cats as possible.
Help Us Make a Difference
This role is very demanding; however it is also one of the most rewarding roles in TCR. The adoption counsellor (AC) role is performed from your home, using your home computer and phone. You will be assigned a group of specific fosters homes for which you will screen any adoption applications that come in for cats in those homes.
Adoption inquiries are picked up from our voicemail and email lines throughout the day by our adoption administration team who forward adoption requests to the appropriate adoption counsellors. You will need to check your email account at least daily, as initial contact with potential adopters is expected to be made within 24hrs. You can then arrange screening conversations based on your schedule and that of the potential adopter.
Adoption Counsellor Tasks:
- Check email daily for adoption requests
- Respond to adoption inquiries within 24hrs
- Arrange and conduct screening conversations with applicants
- Match and/or suggest cat(s) to applicants based on specific wants and desires
- Make adoption referrals by connecting adopters with foster parents
- Follow up referrals to determine outcome
- Keep up to date and accurate records of all cases in Smartsheet [spreadsheet]
- Keep adoption counselor team up to date on your referrals and adoptions through group email
- Must be 18 years or older
- Customer service experience
- Compassionate, patient, pleasant and positive nature
- Highly organized
- Excellent phone skills, enjoying talking to people is a must for this role
- Able to retain information and take detailed notes
- Team player
- Proficiency with Gmail and Google Docs
- Proficiency with spreadsheets
- Able to achieve results and meet deadlines with little to no supervision
- Able to troubleshoot problems quickly and professionally
Training new volunteers takes time. As such, we ask that applicants be available to commit to at least 6 months of their time.