Leader of Learning Te Reo Māori & Kaitakawaenga for Tūrangitukua & Papakai (should any other Tūwharetoa Marae wish to receive a collaborative monthly report - voluntarily contributed to, by teachers, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
In addition, to level 4-5 language lessons, year 9/10s 2017 Overview Term 1 Manaaki Tangata: Te Tiriti/3 principles = relationships, Whaikorero/Karanga-powhiri, akonga pūmanawa identified. Term 2 Manaaki Whenua: NZ Land Wars/Māori Landonline.Proposed changes to Te Ture Whenua Māori. Matariki. Te Ahi Tipua. Term 3 Manaaki Taonga: Rangahau on own marae. Kingitanga. Term 4 Te Ao Hurihuri: applying pūmanawa in a global setting.
2017-2019 Te Reo Māori Goal: to embed a clear and
sound curriculum of te reo Māori to enable competent
entry to NCEA Levels.
- Implementing revised Te Reo Māori Curriculum, across the school. Strategy/Rautaki Whakarauora te Reo Year 0 – 6 specific and supported te reo Māori planning, aligning Language Levels to Year groups i.e. Level 1 = Year 1-2, classroom teachers encouraged to take an osmosis perspective, and a less direct instructional approach. Monitoring for support, and encouragement.
- Implementing a new NCEA programme i.e. 9 akonga in 2017 will enter ncea Te Reo Māori Level 1: Waihanga Tuhinga (6 credits) and Kōrero (6 credits) will be daily and simultaneously. For Whakarongo (6 credits) a weekly test will be given in conjunction with a weekly puna kupu. The rational is that Whakarongo has proved across kura in the rohe as the most difficult. Period overview: 20 min Te Ataarangi, immersion of Level 6 language structures required at NCEA Level 1 –– 10 min Whakarongo/puna kupu – 30 min Waihanga Tuhinga/Kōrero – learning and drafting. Effectively Waihanga Tuhinga and Kōrero will be completed end term 2. Term 3 focus is externals, Pānui and Tuhinga (6 credits each. Exams Dec). Whakarongo completed mid term 3. Giving externals 9 weeks preparation.
- 20 chrome books (for Term 1 2017), falls in line with the 3 year strategy to revive the language and thus success at NCEA levels. The technology will engage akonga in a more sophisticated manner, where inquiry learning is a genuine possibility. Often, we do not have hard copy information, this would give akonga opportunity to self-manage using Goggle Drive as their medium –to research, store, access online tailored assessment to all curriculums, School, NZC, Arataki, Language Level Structures, online Māori Dictionary, Language Perfect - development of Puna Kupu, and Ōpaki a contextual Māori language programme. Data projector is faulty in Whare Ako ( my classroom next to the Wharekura). So modelling e-learing and collaborative learning will be stalled for a time.
Visual Media Resources
Needing access to online (not always accessible), but preferably hard copies from Māori TV, Tūwharetoa Iwi of;
- Ngā Toki o Tūwharetoa
- Behind the Gates of the Kingitanga
- Iwi Anthems– Kua tae mai
- NZ Land Wars – James Belich
A contact at TVNZ is looking into this.
Manaakitanga Marae programme
This is a new programme that is NCEA accredited. It will likely commence term 2, and is a hands on programme about the skills and responsibilities that our ringawera require on our marae.
Ka nui tērā mō te wā nei.