PE at Old Newton
At Old Newton CEVC Primary we aim to inspire and engage children’s interest in physical activities through providing a wide range of opportunities within school, after school and within the wider community.
• We aim to foster children’s interest in physical wellbeing and healthy lifestyles in order to establish long lasting lifestyle messages.
• We aim to promote our Christian values through sports and positively encourage children to share, respect, support, trust and work together.
• Children are encouraged to apply Old Newton’s Life and Learning Skills: Team Work, Aiming High, Perseverance, Creativity and Independence through regular opportunities in PE.
Sports Premium Funding 2017-2018
There are 5 key indicators that schools should expect to see improvement across:
- the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity - the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school
- the profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- increased participation in competitive sport
National Curriculum requirements for swimming and water safety:
- swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
- use a range of strokes effectively
- perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations.
At Old Newton CE Primary School 100% of Year 6 pupils met these requirements in 2017