I am an advocate for student and staff agency, passionate about teaching the whole child, invested in developing compassionate classrooms, purposeful about leading dynamic professional development, focused on making connections that count, and curious about what's next in education and life.
"Either we spend the time filling children’s cups with love, or we spend the time dealing with behaviors caused from unmet needs. Either way we spend the time.”
- Pam Lee
PEOPLE BEFORE POLICY
RELATIONSHIPS BEFORE RIGOR
GRACE BEFORE GRADES
“Creativity is the secret sauce to science, technology, engineering, and math.”
- Ainissa Ramirez
The role of a creative leader is not to have all the ideas;
it's to create a culture where everyone can have ideas and feel that they're valued.
- Ken Robinson
Durham MS - Assistant Principal
As an assistant principal for a Title 1 school, I integrate a myriad of daily decisions with complex personal relationships and changing data to create a cohesive learning environment, leading to improved morale and student outcomes and experiences... Basically, my job is to get the right people to love and inspire kids while holding high expectations for content acquisition.
Student learning and experiences improve when staff are passionate about their content and invested in making real-world connections, celebrating the big and small joys, and figuring out what makes a student tick. Without all of that combined together, systems change will not happen. The job of the administrator is to facilitate and lead systemic change in a multitude of ways, including set expectations, hire the right people, support them, hold staff to account when needed, and celebrate all ways things go right.
Prior to becoming an administrator, I loved teaching science for 10 years, with 8 years at all grades of middle school science and 2 years at a 6-A high school, teaching aquatics and AP environmental science. My goal was to combine a laboratory setting with real-world application of content and utilizing interdisciplinary focuses when possible. I taught the way I believe my staff should teach now -- kids first, standards second, and high expectations always.
I was also lucky to serve my district as an instructional facilitator and coach, supporting a variety of science teachers at 8 campuses (3 high schools and 5 middle schools).
- Present staff training and faculty meetings, (for example: 2019 inservice agenda)
- Developed learning website for DMS staff (https://tinyurl.com/qvqby6h)
- Implemented campus-wide lesson plan template focused on 4 PLC key questions
- Developed student planner for at-home learning
- Completed LEAD evaluations for science, electives, and special ed
Other Operational Duties:
Discipline and Safety:
- Address multiple grades of discipline, focusing on restorative practices
- Developed staggered release plan to improve hallway safety
- Restorative Practice Committee (built website for all district admin)
- Back to School Fair (lead organizer for Volunteers and general procedures)
- District Task Force for planning 20-21 school year
- Spearheaded full revision of Campus Improvement Plan in Spring 2018
- Coordinate books and busses
- Coordinate volunteers and community outreach through Voly
- Lead and participate in committees like BLT, attendance, and more
- Participate in parent evenings like Coffee Talks and Pizza with Parents
Illustrator and Designer
As a published children's book illustrator, I utilize my creative side with proficient use of Adobe Photoshop and other digital art skills, including photography and editing movies, in a variety of programs and applications. This allows me to communicate with purpose and beauty.
As Einstein says,
the greatest scientists
are artists as well.
- Utilize Adobe Photoshop and other digital art skills, including photography and editing movies in a variety of programs and applications
- Utilize skills in website building and blogging www.tiddlyinks.com
- Communicate digitally with purpose and beauty, creating buy-in and stakeholder appreciation
- Organize budgets, long-term planning, improve systems operations and project implementation