ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR PREKINDERGARTEN
In order to be eligible for the Pre-Kindergarten Program, state law (Texas Education Code §29.153) requires that children must be a Southwest ISD resident and is 4 years old on or before September 1st and (one of the following):
- Unable to speak or comprehend the English language (speak another language other than English) [Based on testing results]
2. Educationally disadvantaged (income based) [Based on eligible to participate in the National School Lunch Program]
3. Homeless (as identified by 42 United States Code, Section 1143a)
4. The child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserved component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority (proof of military ID and/or DoD paperwork)
5. The child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserved component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty (proof of VA statement of benefits due to active duty)
6. Have been in the conservatorship (foster care) of the Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) (foster care) following an adversary hearing (as identified in Section 262.201, Family Code).