Pre-K 2 Newsletter November 12, 2018
November 12, 2018
Hello Pre-K Parents,
For the month of November, our unit of focus is entitled “All About Us.” This unit will specifically focus on the children learning more about themselves and the people around them. The children will explore the characteristics of their names as one important part of what makes them unique. This discussion of each child’s name will a starting point for early literacy skills. Children will share their family composition and customs to recognize differences and similarities between themselves and the people around them.
Last week we started our new unit on All About Us by reading the book Little Elliot Big City written by Mike Curato. This story spoke about challenges the character faced because the world was too big around him and the feelings that he had throughout all of it. The children practiced their feelings by continuing to use their words more when experiencing situations throughout the day. We also got to take a look at ourselves and saw that we all are all unique! We have unique qualities, such as different color eyes, skin, and hair, some kids wear glasses, and our names are all different! The children have continued to use their name cards in the writing center so they can sign in every morning and practice writing their names throughout the day. This week we will be focusing on how our families are unique.
PK.SED.1: Recognizes himself/herself as a unique individual having/his/her own abilities, characteristics, feelings, and interests.
PK.CKW.1 (Arts): Expresses oneself and represents what she/he knows, thinks, believes and feels through visual arts.
PK.CLL.6 (Speaking and Listening): Demonstrate and emergent ability to express thoughts, feelings and ideas.
- Help your child draw a picture on a piece of paper (you may choose one):
a. story from the past about the first time your child did something new,
b. funny story about an experience he/she had with the family,
c. time when your child made the family proud.
Please send in a favorite family recipe for our classroom cookbook.
- Thursday, November 22 & Friday, November 23 – Thanksgiving Recess –NO School
- Please check your child's folder for notes or art work every day.
- Please send in any size bottle caps and toilet and paper towel rolls for 3D art projects. Thank you.
- Please send in cultural music and empty clean cultural food containers for dramatic play. Thank you.
- From now on, your child will be putting his/her coat/jacket in the backpack. Please make sure your child's backpack is large enough to fit the coat/jacket. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
Have a great week!
Miss Trentacosti, Mrs. Paulino, & Mrs. Cuzco