Pre K 2 Newsletter
November 18, 2022
Hello Pre-K 2 Parents,
During November, our unit of focus is entitled “All About Us.” This unit will specifically focus on the children learning more about themselves and the people around them. The children will explore the characteristics of their names as one important part of what makes them unique. This discussion of each child’s name is a starting point for early literacy skills. Children will share their family composition and customs to recognize differences and similarities between themselves and the people around them.
PK.SED.1: Recognizes himself/herself as a unique individual having/his/her own abilities, characteristics, feelings, and interests.
PK.CKW.1 (Arts): Expresses oneself and represents what she/he knows, thinks, believes and feels through visual arts.
PK.CLL.6 (Speaking and Listening): Demonstrate and emergent ability to express thoughts, feelings and ideas.
This week, the class discussed,” What makes my class important and unique?” We talked about our class being a community and how we should work as a team. We discussed having good manners and talked about being kind to each other. We are working on always being polite and using words and phrases like: “Please”, “Thank you.” “You’re welcome.” “Excuse me.” and “I’m sorry.”
The book we read was Friendshape by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Tom Lichtenheld. The book used shapes to illustrate the story. Then the children used shapes to create their own shape art. We prepared for Thanksgiving by reading many books about the first Thanksgiving and what it means to be thankful. We are learning about the parts of turkeys. The children matched the words of the body parts of the turkey to a picture of a turkey.
1) Help your child draw a picture on a piece of paper about one of the following:
· A story from the past about the first time your child did something new,
· A funny story about an experience he/she had with the family,
· A time when your child made the family proud.
2) Please send in a favorite family recipe for our classroom cookbook
3) Tell your child about his/her name. Explain why you chose that name and tell your child if his/her name has a special meaning or significance.
4)Help your child create a “All About Me” poster. We sent home the poster board for you to use. On the poster include information about your family (choose the type of information you would like to include: the people in your family, where you live, things your family likes to do together, favorite foods, languages spoken, family heritage, traditions, celebrations, etc.) The completed posters are to be returned to class by Friday, November 18. Children will share their posters with the class, and we will display the posters in the classroom.
· Wednesday, November 23, one adult from each child’s family is invited to join us for our Thanksgiving celebration from 11:30 a.m. until 12:20 p.m. Thank you in advance for your kindness and generosity in adding to our celebration by sending in food and supplies.
Thursday, November 24 & Friday, November 25 – Thanksgiving Recess –NO SCHOOL
It is time to change the extra set of clothes in the classroom. If your child does not have long pants and a shirt with long sleeves, please send one in.
· Wednesday, December 8 Feast of the Immaculate Conception-NO school
· The children are mostly dressing for the colder temperatures, but many complain about having cold hands during outdoor gross motor time. Please remember to give your child gloves or mittens. Thank you.
Have a great weekend! – Ms. Trentacosti, Mrs. Paolino, & Mrs. Johnson