The United States of America was formed because they were just that, united. In our partisan politics current state of affairs we understand that now more than ever do citizens need to work together to take back our republic. That's why we're careful to choose reforms which propel our efforts stronger together to make america great again.
Ranked Choice Voting
Is the newest platform we are working on which will have huge effects on how we vote for elected officials. There are some serious money in politics groups working on this reform and we have decided to combine efforts for maximum effects. Not familiar with ranked choice voting? Check out this below explainer and video our friends at Represent.Us made which will get you right up to speed on the importance of this reform.
Voters are forced to choose between the lesser of two evils. Over and over and over again.Third-party candidates never seem to have a real shot at winning elections.
Why? The spoiler effect.
What is the spoiler effect?
When a third-party candidate enters the race, they always run the risk of splitting the vote with the establishment candidate whose politics they most closely align with. If a progressive candidate enters the race, she draws votes away from the Democrat. If a conservative enters, she draws votes away from the Republican. When you're only allowed to choose 1 candidate on the ballot, the spoiler effect will always be a problem in our elections, and will effectively continue to lock out third-party candidates with fresh ideas.
Let voters rank their favorite candidates with Ranked Choice Voting.
- When you vote, you rank your favorite candidates in order of preference.
- If your first choice is mathematically eliminated, your vote still counts toward your second choice.
- No more choosing between the lesser of two evils or splitting the vote by voting for a third-party or independent candidate.
- Voters get more choices at the ballot. Lots of potential candidates want to run for office but don’t want to split their party’s vote. Now they can campaign without fear of acting as a spoiler.
- Winning candidates get support from the majority of voters. (In contrast, our current system of voting allows candidates in 3-way races to win with just 34% of the vote.)
- Campaigns become more positive and civil. With ranked choice voting, candidates don’t want to speak poorly of their opponents, because they are trying to earn the second-choice votes of their opponents’ supporters.